Chapter Two

Storms became regular and lightning strikes began to be seen, and in one storm, the King formed the second Con of Warfare and struck a servant. The man had surprised the fearful King, but such an occurrence could not be allowed to tarnish history's view of him, and so the third Con of Warfare became, as the servant was publicly accused of violence, the first such accusation, and the first such deception.

- - Lord Arkcken, 'On the Forging of the Empire', 5th Edition.

Hezai's Lsie was a hole.

That was the gist of it, and that was the advantage he saw in it.

It might be named after the Wise Hezai, a figure of ultimate legend, but that was simply myth. He couldn't really understand why the Emperor First had named this spit of land as he had, why had he named an island that could barely support life after Hezai? Maybe there was wisdom there... Because Hezai had supposedly died because he had another man killed, though of course, the legend never named who had invented the idea of execution.

The Erdad Muhman, Xamimus Inamilis, stood and surveyed the place he had been exiled to, had been forced to seek refuge at. He was a genius, that was the short of it, he could bend the heavens at a whisper, rent the ground open at a growl, and an upstart little mayor, calling himself an Emperor, had managed to summon a thousand Muhmans to his side, to expel him, and on the mainland, he found that Universities controlled the few and far between villages, and that everyone feared his power, and hated him for it. He could find the silence he sought no where, no peace for him... Until he found Hezai's Lsie. The city he had had to go through to get to the island had been named 'Dne Fo Eht Rowld', End Of The World in epsak. It aptly described his situation.

Xamimus sat down on the edge of the island and closed his eyes, concentrating his rage, his anger within himself, and he clenched both his fists, and tapped the knuckles together, he felt the world around him toss and turn, shivering in pain, and he opened his eyes calmly, and he smiled softly, looking at the isle that had transformed into a mountain, with a home made of black rock sitting at the top, with a view of the entire island, and he began to stride upwards slowly, laughing at the thought that the fools at the Twice-Blind University would be able to see his new abode.

The people demanded that reparations be made, and so execution was created. With this first death, first murder, came the loss of immortality, and the cycle of life and death through gamic. King Hezai fell ill and died, and the foolish Prince Akaia became Grand Akaia, who stored up secrets and stole knowledge from his people till writing and reading became forgotten and violent storms became common.

- - Lord Arkcken, 'On the Forging of the Empire', 5th Edition.

Tabitha smiled softly, “Master Davis...”

He looked up as if in surprise, “Ah... Ah... Ihcld Tabitha...”

She frowned, “Master?”

He shook his head, “I was merely interpreting a part of a story... It is not exactly material for one your age.” He brushed the papers into a drawer, and closed it with a quick lock, “So tell...” She swallowed at his wording, “I've... I've been telling of the future, Master.”

Davis blinked, “What of it?”

“Is that part of Letling?” She asked in confusion, and Davis shook his head, “You are something different. Please, take a seat.”

She sat down slowly, uncomfortable, and the door closed as Davis twitched a finger, and he frowned, “You are a Eesr. That has been obvious from the first... But what has also been obvious is that you have a firm grip on your own reality... Unlike our very own Master Phoebe, who has difficulty telling the real world from any number of the possible futures running through her head. Unlike her, your gift only manifests in your speech. This is something new, controllable, you are far more like an Arocle, but after examining your sayings, I believe it's more than that... You could actually control your gift with the right teaching, focus it so that you reveal only what you want, and the rest remains hidden. You are more like the Urtthsayers of old. You tell truth, and it will not remain hidden whether it is a lie or not. You could see past all lies... My teachings for you, as a Letler, is the closest that we have for that sort of gift.”