chapter 10

Joseph

Joseph woke warm and peaceful.  There was no panic or fear of the collapse just the gentle sound of your breathing and heartbeat.  He had always been an early riser as there were always so many things to prepare.  But as he looked upon your sleeping face and knowing that there was nothing demanding his attention he felt that urge dissipate.  So for the first time in years he indulged and curled up around you.

"Hmmph?" You moaned in your sleep and he urged the demons away with a reassuring touch.  You looked so peaceful and unburdened.

He didn't know when he fell asleep again but it had been a couple of hours and you were trying to get up.

"Rook?"

"Gotta pee!" She apologised and he released her.

Last night had been a step forward.  They had recognised the pain in each other and now they could move forwards.  Perhaps they would be each others salvation.  Joseph slowly rose from bed.  Rubbing his eyes and stretching he started with his usual morning prayers.  By the time he finished he could hear the sound of the kettle boiling and you moving about the kitchen.  He placed his book next to the Bible on his desk and padded out to join you.

"What is it with you and shirts?" You asked with a smile.

He himself couldn't help but return the smile.  "It's too hot, or perhaps I like seeing you flustered."

"Or it's a honey trap."

"You think that highly of me?  That I would use sin to lure people?" He joked.

"Definitely a honey trap."

"Does it distract you Rook?" He flirted.  He chuckled at how you almost choked on your coffee.

"No...?" You replied unsure.

"Well I'm sorry to say it will continue my dear.  I quite like you flustered."  Your blush was so cute it had him hardening in his trousers.  "Anymore secrets I should know about?"

"Uhhhhhh," you paled and mumbled.  "Well..."

"What is it?" He asked concerned.

"Wellllll... It's complicated..."

"Rook?" He growled.

"Hello?  Hello?  Is anyone there?"  A voice crackled faintly from the other room. 

You darted out the room and Joseph followed with equal speed.  The voice came from the radio setup that you had turned on the previous day but had no signal.

"He...lol...tch...dep..."

"Who is that?" He growled as you fiddled with settings to get a clearer signal.

"The big secret...wait...shhhh...".

The Deputy

The white noise was broken by a voice repeating the same message they held before only it was much clearer.  You smiled and took the mouthpiece.

"This is the Deputy, Kim is that you?"

"Oh thank god!  We thought you were dead."

"Not gonna lie you had me worried too.  You and the baby safe?"

"Nick too, said if you hadn't sent them back they'd have never made it.  Thanks for sending him home."

You smiled tears forming in your eyes.  It had been worth it.  You hadn't failed. You looked up to see Joseph watching you intently with a mix of confusion and frustration.