Chapter 17: Take Off

"I'm going, mom." Gohan said forcefully as he sat in the bed beside his father, V wasn't sure if saying anything would help or hurt. Instead, she just watched Gohan do the one thing V quickly learned you were not supposed to do... stand up to Chichi.

"No, I just got you back." Chichi stood her ground unwaveringly despite the lingering shock from Gohan's outburst.

"Piccolo died saving me." Gohan reminded her "it's my job to help save him."

"It's his fault you were there in the first place." Chichi reminded him.

She's not wrong V thought to herself but Gohan was too important not to use. Of course, V didn't understand when they took Gohan how strange it was for Earthling children to fight but still, without Gohan, the Earth might not be here anymore.

"You are going to stay right here, finish healing and get back to your school work." Chichi seethed but V caught something in Chichi's seemingly unwavering gaze, a break in her armor.

"I'll take care of him." V said in a small firm voice "I've been around the galaxy, I know what to do." V assured her. Chichi clenched her hands into fists and turned her glare on V.

"And who said you're going, young lady?" Chichi demanded in a calm chilling tone.

"But I..." V trailed off, her new mom confused her. "but I did the pageant..." V wasn't sure what else to say, she had thought if Chichi even cared if she went then the Pageant would pacify her enough to give her the okay.

"And winning a pageant all of a sudden catches you up on all your studies?" Chichi asked

"Well...no, but." V looked to Goku for help but Goku had a strange determined look on his face as he watched the scene play out.

"But nothing." Chichi snapped "you both have school work to catch up on and you need more time for healing." Chichi spoke finally but Goku didn't seem to think the conversation was over.

"They need to go." Goku said firmly.

"What?" Chichi exclaimed nearly falling over.

"Piccolo trained them both." Goku began "They'll never be able to forgive themselves if they don't do everything they can to get him and our other friends back."

"You're siding with the children?" Chichi exclaimed in disbelief "they're children, they don't know what they want or what they need, that's our job, Goku, or have you forgotten that you're still a parent?" Chichi balled her hands into fists and flailed them up and down "they're five years old, they' practically babies, it's our job to protect them, to tell them what's right and wrong and what's dangerous and what's safe."

"That's what I'm doing." Goku said "Piccolo trained them, he sacrificed himself for Gohan and there's a chance that they can save him, they're trying to do the right thing here."

"You will not send my baby into space!" Chichi screamed trying her final-tone one more time.

"Mom." Gohan sighed "I love you, but you can't stop V and me from doing this." Gohan and Chichi met gazes, both impenetrable until V stepped to Gohan's side, her tail swaying back and forth, V felt the protectiveness and concern rolling off of Chichi but Gohan and V had a promise to keep.

"We're going." V said, her eyes still gentle but her voice made of steel.

"I can't believe it." Chichi wailed "they're already delinquents." She stormed out of the room. Goku and the others watched her go. V felt bad for what she did but she didn't feel that is was wrong.