Ch.2 Going Camping

After three long hours they pulled up to the park rangers office. Claire hopped out and headed inside, they had to pay a fee of ten dollars a day to camp, but it was right on the river, so that made it kinda worth it.
    "Thank God we're finally here, I can't wait to stretch my legs!" Laura said with a yawn.
    "You! Ha! I've had these fishing poles banging me in the head for hours. I, can't wait," Neka stated dramatically, tossing her hair over her shoulder and looking out the window longingly.
    "Hey that's your fault. If you hadn't been in such a hurry and gotten in on the wrong side at the gas station, they wouldn't be bouncing off your head. Besides you won't be complaining so much about them when Claire and I haul in supper tomorrow." Josey responded eagerly.
    "Claire? Wait Claire fishes?" Neka asked in astonishment, returning her attention to the inside of the SUV.
    "Yep, so one of those poles is hers," Josey revealed.
    "Wow, I just can't see her fishing with those fingernails she obsesses over. How does she keep them clean?" Neka asked, looking down at her own nails.
    "I wear gloves," Claire answered climbing back into the driver seat.
    "Oh my God, are you a ninja? I didn't even hear the door open much less see you walk across the parking lot!" Neka gushed making Laura and Claire giggle.
    “And I don't obsess over them, I just like to keep them clean.”
    “Uh huh,” Neka responded rolling her eyes.
    Claire ignored her comment, put the car in gear, and backed out of the parking lot, "Okay, I'll drive slow so y'all have time to. look at the camping spots, let me know when you see one that looks good," she said putting the car in drive and backing out.
    "Sounds good," Josey stated as Laura and Neka nodded.
    After passing about seven empty spots  Josey and Neka finally agreed on one. They all pretty much looked the same to Laura but she
wasn't gonna tell them that.
    "Y'all were awful picky for people dying to get out of the car. Someone might start to think y'all enjoyed being smushed in there," Claire said as she parked. Then they all piled out of the car like their life depended on it.
    Josey popped the trunk and reached for the first bag, "Babe I can do that. Why don't you go put the tent up before it gets dark since your the tallest."
    "Sure," he said grabbing the tent and slinging it over his shoulder.
    "Oh good, I'll start on a fire then!" Neka said, eyes gleaming.
    "Just don't get to carried away pyro," Claire said as she passed by to give Josey a hand with the tent.
    Once the tent was up everyone moved their bags inside to their chosen sleeping spot. Then they all headed back outside to stretch out and relax around the fire.
    "It's so pretty here," Neka stated staring out at the water.
    "Yeah I wish there was a nice place to go camping closer to the house," Claire said.
    "Me too, I can't wait to go swimming tomorrow" Laura put in, glancing out at the water before turning back towards the fire.
    "I can't wait to go fishing," Josey added a look of anticipation clear in his eyes.
    "Well, I don't know about y'all but I'm hungry," Claire said grabbing the hotdogs from the cooler and tossing them over by the fire, "I'm going to find me a good cooking stick."
    "I'm coming," Neka jumped up. They started to walk off then stopped and glanced back at Laura.
    "Yeah yeah, I'm coming," she responded rolling her eyes, she kissed Josey's cheek before standing up. "You'd think a girl could get some alone time with her boyfriend," she mumbled under her breath jokingly.
    Using the flashlights on their phones they found their sticks and returned to the fire. When they walked up Josey was already putting one on a bun. He smothering it in mustard and took his first bite as they sat down sticking their hotdogs over the fire.
    "Slowpokes," Josey joked. Neka stuck her tongue out and Laura giggled.
    "Look at y'all being so unlady like," he said with a grin. That made all three of them laugh.
    "Ow!”
    "You okay?" Josey asked rushing over to Laura.
    "Yeah I just burned my finger," she said holding up her red index finger for his examination.
    "Here this will help,” he said squeezing some mustard on it.
     "Thanks." Laura said, looking up at him admiringly. He returned the look as he sat down beside her and they finished eating.
     The four of them sat around talking till about midnight, then Claire and Neka headed inside for bed. Laura and Josey decided to bring their sleeping bags outside and sleep under the stars. Maybe here, they'd get some alone time.