Ch.6 A Savior

If your seeing this note it means you probably have the correct ch6 please comment so I know, my wattpad is being weird.

I yanked the flap open and tore across the camp grounds as fast as I could go. There was a little girl out there in the chaos and I was determined, I had to save her. I could hear the terrible thing chasing me, almost trampling several tents in the process, but nothing would stop me from moving forward.

I'd heard the scream right outside our tent. It had coaxed me into lowering one of the zippers, that held a piece of material over a window, that was covered with mosquito netting. But the gruesome sight that met my eyes almost made me wish I hadn't. There was a huge brown bear standing on its back legs, snarling over a mother and her child. She was holding the little girl behind her in a protective manner.

The woman seemed to have come to a sudden decision, she shoved her daughter -of maybe six years- away from her and screamed at her to run. The girl hesitated, the bear charged for her, but then the woman hit it in the head with a stick, dragging it's attention away from the child.

The woman would pay dearly for her mistake, but the little girl turned and ran for her life. The cruel animal turned it's wrath back to the mother, and it showed her no leniency.

The bear raised it's huge paw into the air and slashed it down across the mothers face, her neck snapping instantly, her skin peeled off in ribbons, a waterfall of blood was created. The woman had obviously sacrificed herself for her daughter. I'm sure to any mother, it would be a worthy decision. But it would be in vain if the little girl didn't get away, so despite my sisters pleas, I took it upon myself to save her.

The rough pavement burned into my bare feet with every step I took, but I barely even noticed because the little girl was in my sights. She was standing beside a tent looking back and forth, as if trying to decide which way to go.

I called to her and she answered the call by running into my waiting arms. I grabbed her up and hid behind a vehicle as I tried to decide what to do. I could barge into someone's tent to hide, but the bear might follow me in.

I didn't see it, but I could hear it's snorting getting closer, then I realised what I was hiding behind and tried the door. It was locked but I could see another truck about 3 parking spots away. I peeked around the front of the car, the bear was nowhere in sight, so I made a wild dash for the other vehicle.

As soon as we were behind it, I again checked the doors, and again they were locked. There were plenty more vehicles to check, but I couldn't keep up this Russian Roullette. I looked over the bed of truck, I could see the bear passing the car we'd just been crouched behind, and I made a decision.

"Stay right here, okay. I'm gonna distract the bear. When you see it go charging past, crawl into the back of the tuck and lay down, okay?" I whispered to her.

She nodded, the fear clear in her eyes. I sat her down and started walking towards the front of the truck, "Wait," she whispered grabbing my hand.

I turned and met her eyes with mine, "I'm Araea, what's your name," she asked.

"Carrie," I answered.

Then I shoved her under the truck and ran forward waving my arms. The ugly creature stood up on its back legs and roared. I turned away and ran, disappearing into the dark thicket the trees and brambles created.

Thorns clawed my legs and pierced my feet, but despite my aches and pains I had to keep going. I could hear it following behind me, crashing through the trees, leaves crumbling beneath it's feet. It had slowed down considerably, but so had I. The exhaustion of fighting my way through these woods was getting to me. I didn't know how much longer I could keep this up, if I stopped I knew what my fate would be. But at least I knew the girl was safe.