Fourth Petal: His Demise

23rd April, 2017 Manila, Philippines--- 16 years had gone by since I left the barrio and pursued by studies in the law school. My tatay happened to have successfully made the piece of land in our possession to bounty and decided to send me out in the city. Passing the bar examination, I already have the ability to help in exterminating the injustice that infests the Philippine society. I aim to accentuate the significance of fairness by providing the best support that the oppressed needs. I have developed the acuity needed in relieving our land from ailments that it had endured since time immemorial.

By ailments there are several here and there varying from time to time. A problem that had surfaced from the past months is the multiple counts of brutal murder amongst priests with the latest case that took place 9 days ago. Victim: Rev. father Manolo Burgos Sanio, cause of death: multiple gunshots in the body, place of death: Quezon province, time: 5:37 pm, motive: to silence the priest who had active involvement in the advocacy against extrajudicial killings, assailant: unknown.

I stood in solemnity as we bid the noble man a last good bye. My eyes concealed the slightest presence of tears as I can't help but think, what a waste. I went closer and tossed a single plumeria to his resting place bidding my sentiments of thank you's and forgiveness. If he kept his word, he might've saved himself from his demise.

Seeing him reminds me of long ago under that Kalachuchi tree. I gave him a yes to what he proposed but he left the day after tomorrow without saying a single farewell.

Although I was clueless to the exact reason why he left I held on to his promise, waiting for years. With patience, fortitude and fidelity, I looked forward for my Manolo to come no matter how long will it ever take him to finally quench my longing.

Three years passed and a day came, one that I have forgotten when and one that finally ended my waiting, it broke to me the news of his admission to the seminary.

It was a great news to everyone, an honor to his family but a horror to one, to myself. No one knew my suffrage as I always heard the adults pouring him adoration for what he decided to become. All that I ever wanted to pour him was a question of why he didn't honor his word as a gentleman? But then, I can never become angry. I would never want to question a decission especially when it is to honor Him.

Truly, hath hell no fury with woman scorned and also truly that there is always an exception. All that I can ever choose is to accept what he had and what was already done. I forgave him and stopped longing for that red plumeria he promised. My first love will still be my first love but my heart changed never to be the same. Yes, I don't have any hatred to him at all but my heart grew harder. I wanted to be strong, a woman to be feared and admired.