Part 4

She knew he was right. A sound like sighing thunder echoed down from whatever was circling in the sky and she didn't fight when he tugged her along to the arched door and threw it open without touching it. He spun her around and slammed the door shut behind them.

"Apologies again, but you were calling attention to yourself from things you wouldn't ever want to know of." He clapped his hands together and smiled reassuringly. "But you are safe here, this dwelling is not visible from the outside and is protected from most sorts of trespassers."

She turned and gasped. She wasn't in some cozy cabin, the room they were in could fit twenty of the structures she thought she entered into it. There was a great shallow pit in the center that emanated a soft blue glow, illuminating the smooth stone walls and stairway that led down to an ornate double door.

Even the buildings lie here, she thought.

"This hall is more of a study" He explained. "I created this place as a sort of a sanctuary. It's more humble than I'm used to, but I do not have need of it often. Come."

She followed him numbly down the stairs and waited for him to shove the great heavy doors open, no longer even speculating what might be on the other side of them. Safer that way, she shrugged.

What greeted her was a large living area with high ceilings and a cool, stone floor. There were sconces on the wall lit with something that had the look of fire, but that gave off no heat. In one corner, next to a large fireplace which lit itself with a roaring flame as she watched, there was a sitting area with a couple of plush, high backed chairs, a table, and shelves with neatly stacked books. A four-poster bed was against the wall on the other side of the room with more tall bookshelves on either side of it and next to each of them was a small door.

"This isn't where you live?"

He walked over to one of the chairs and leisurely threw himself in it, inviting her with a nod to do the same. "There is a city on the on the other side of the mountains that is greater than any in all the realms.," he boasted." That is where my home is."

"And that's where Ivar was taking me? Is that where the castle and this prince lives as well?" She sat down cautiously, as though the chair might swallow her if she made any sudden movements. The fire next to them seemed real enough, giving off heat and gently crackling.

"Indeed. Though there is no need to take you all the way to the castle ." A smile crept mischievously onto his face. " I know you didn't steal anything from me, Elaina."

She was momentarily stunned at hearing her name spoken in his smooth, velvety voice. "From you? I thought it was stolen from-" Her words dried in her mouth.

"Well, to be fair, that is what I wanted Ivar to believe so I had to take you along for that particular deception, but no need to continue it now."

"You. Are....The Prince," she breathed.

"I am Loki. Son of Odin. Prince of Asgard." He leaned forward, watching her face as his words sunk in, and they did so very slowly. "And I have been watching you."

She shook her head "Loki. Odin. Those are from Norse myths." A sort of laugh fell from her mouth. " Those are gods."

He shook his head, his smile spreading wider in the fire's orange glow. " All of those hours you spent in those books, reading about far off lands, about magic, about myths, about ME. I thought you would've worked it out sooner."

She didn't doubt him. With all that she'd seen, how could she? She was sitting across from an actual Norse deity. He had to be a thousand years old. She was terrified still, but also captivated by all that he was and the myth and magic he represented. So many thoughts and questions swarmed around her head, she hardly knew what she could say to him to convey all of it . "You're....you're so...tall." Perfect.