Eleven

As the platform filled, Marcus watched the eclectic group of people massing the subway stop waiting for the train. A group of sailors from the JADF in their crisp beige uniforms busy checking their phones for the next stop on the evenings entertainment. Several groups of hipsters busy ignoring each other. Others were buried in their own world of Enhanced optics, turning the subway platform into a green meadow and the train tracks into a tranquil stream. Intertwined through it all was the homeless, who seemed to be pushed to the margins of the platform, blending into the walls.

"There's a whole other world down here. There are tunnels spurring off the main subway line under various buildings and into the open sewer systems. All built by the homeless population. Some people think they are the ones running the city," said Miko.

Marcus watched a raggedy man slowly walk along the wall behind them and quietly hop down to the tracks at the end of the platform and disappear into the tunnel.

The Marina train should be along in about 10 minutes. It bypasses the green zone, so we won't have to switch trains and be scanned to get into downtown. It lets us off right by your hotel," Miko said.

Marcus shook his head lost in thought.

"Organs are at a premium. I don't understand why San Francisco tolerates the gladiators," said Marcus.

"The simple fact that they're not viable human organs. Mostly they are animal parts. They are not alive, not sentient. Robots powered by blood and processors."

"I've seen a lot of fucked-up things in my life," Marcus said.

"I don't think I've ever seen is such a disgusting display of wanton violence and cruelty against a living thing in my life."

"It's like I said, they're not really alive, not in the eyes of the law. Anyways, they're manufactured animals. As long as they don't use any viable human tissue, the authorities look the other way. The politicians and police look at the games as an escape valve for people who would otherwise take up their bloodlust on the street," said Miko.

"This is affecting you a lot for a company man," she continued. "Don't you grease people for a living?"

"The people I retire make their own fate. They are masters of their own destiny." Marcus shook his head as he looked around the platform of the people waiting for the train.

The crowd had increased exponentially in size since the end of the gladiator games.

"I think someone's following us," Becca whispered...

She's been following us since we left the Coliseum. She's on your seven in the clear coat with the ruffled Victorian jacket and stupid top hat."

"Thanks," said Marcus.

Miko shot Marcus a surprised look. Marcus remembered that he had not told her about Becca yet.

"Thanks for the educational tour of the city," Marcus said.

"Did you know that we are being followed," Marcus asked.

"You mean the Asher behind us? Yeah I'm sure Lenny sent her to keep tabs on us. Subtle." replied Miko.

Marcus's ears popped from the air pressure change in the tunnel as the subway cars entered the station. Covered in graffiti and holo stickers, the cars seem to move and gyrate like it was alive. Moving on to the car Marcus and the rest of the passengers were greeted by a cacophony of sight and sound from the holo advertisements that started as soon people stepped into the train car.

After a few seconds, the advertisements were interrupted by a holographic short movie by one of the various guerrilla digital artists who regularly hacked into the San Francisco subway system. As the holograms walked down the length of the subway cars, they acted out a bizarre dystopian future of the new American Society. Mostly people ignored it.