1 | Tyler

The grass under my body was sharp but the night sky made the view worth it. It was so cold that I could see my breath in the air but to keep myself warm, my hands were buried in my hoodie to make it bearable. "Come on, Joshua." I nervously whispered as I sat up to look over the village lights from a tall hill outside of grounds. It was forbidden to be on this land but when Josh came up on the peaceful environment, he had to tell the only person that he'd want to be alone together but also could appreciate it which ended up being me.

It still surprises me how lucky I am to get to have him in my life.

I could hear footsteps run on the hill and I looked over to see an out of breath Josh. His red hair reminded me of strawberries but also showed how fearless he was. It was a rule that you couldn't color your hair or have it longer or shorter than the requirements. The punishments make my spine tingle. I couldn't ever rebel against them.

Except the ones that weren't obvious. For example, going out on forbidden land. That's another story.

I reach out my arms and my best friend wrestles into my arms as we look at each other. "Tomorrow could be our last day that we could do this." Josh whispers, I could feel nervousness in his voice but I shake my head. I wouldn't allow anyone or anything separate me from him.

Queen Black was going to tell our village the men that'll protect and marry Jenna if she allows herself. Everyone knows Jenna Black. Not only as the princess of Loslavia but the most beautiful princess of all the heirs.

Personally, I've feared this day would come because our village was so small that our chances are higher. I couldn't let Josh know this though so I hold him tighter to me. "It'll never be our last day. We have forever, Joshua." I hum into his shoulder as he stares at me. I can tell he's thinking.

"I don't want to lose you." My heart skips a beat like it always has when I hear these words slip from his lips. I bite my lip and look at him in silence.

"You know how I feel about you." I felt my voice get quieter as Josh nodded slowly, taking my hands into his.

"We could run away tonight, Ty. We can be who we want to be and we can be out in public together; not just best friends. No one has to know and they won't find us anyways. We know this forest better than the royals could ever." Josh's voice rises as he looks at me with hope. To be honest, I've had this thought over and over. I shake my head as I look at the grass.

"I can't let my family down. You know I'm one of the only people that is keeping my family stable at this very moment." I pick at a clump of grass in thought of how messed up it actually is. I can't remember the last good day in my family. My father could pass for being the worst father and husband. I can't think about this now.

"You have to understand this, J. I can't disappear." I let those words hang in the air between us before Josh moves away from me and lifts his hoodie up to cover his flaming hair.

"I guess we'll know for sure if it's forever tomorrow, don't we?" He starts walking away and I'm at my feet instantly behind him, my mind racing with words to say but my mouth is dry. He stops and turns around to look at me.

"You know, people would actually miss you if you left. Me? My family is me and my brother Jordan watching over my sisters. That's it. People look at me and scowl because they know my mother and father betrayed us and the village. They think my siblings and I are nothing. Nothing. So why did I think this was different? In case you don't know, you're my best friend and I'm sorry I have no will to stay here. You're my reason to be here. You are." Josh keeps his eyes locked on mine until the very last word.

My heart races into my ears as I shake my head to keep him from leaving but it was too late. He was already gone.

|-/