Court II

K'chak ran, hugging the goblin by the hips, facing forward. After filling Pog with half-melted packing ice, Dirk had been insistent on the carry method. Pog must stay cold as long as possible!

K'chak's speed was great, and his endurance greater. Long did he run, abandoning roads in his haste. Almost two hours he swiftly strode before he felt heavy in his step, cool water sloshing from Pog, yet he was still a mile from the goblin village.

Lo! There was a specter in the forest. K'chak spied a figure, hooded in brown within the trees. The warrior taxed his strength, sprinting to slide to his knees even as Ursula fell to hers.

The blonde witch drew back her hood, and hugged Pog close to herself. As water sprayed over her shoulder, Ursula frowned up at K'chak's dark, cherubic face. "Touch my cheek. Let me see what happened."

K'chak's large, immaculate hand cupped the witch's freckled face. He remembered the last hours in vivid detail, feeling Ursula's reactions to his adventure. Finally, her eyes fluttered up to the mighty warrior's. "You really are my favorite idiot."

~~~

"What do you idiots want?" This time, the Goblin Queen addressed all three adventurers. Her brown-robed Sisters remained hooded.

Pog began so skirl but his mother sat forward in her winged throne. "Not this time, Pog. If you want to act like a Man I'll treat you like one!"

Pog was not stayed. "Just like my brothers!"

"I'm sorry, if this is not court, I have a schedule." Zera looked to Dirk as hot, violet steam rolled from her angry gaze, and he knew dread.

"Your Vile Purpleness, we have the location of bandit treasure and possible magic affects, though the location is not secure. If it please Your Terrible..." Dirk was cut off.

"'Vile Purpleness' was your best genuflection by miles, idiot. Don't cross me." The Queen's anger made Dirk concentrate to listen past the gypsy accent. "Vhat ju chju mean 'possibul majeeck'?"

Dirk lifted the back of his shield, wagging two fingers and half a thumb on his left hand. "I have encountered potions before, Your Majesty."

Zera sighed, loathing the necessity before her. "Oh, let me peek. Don't worry, I don't want to go traipsing deeply through your mind."

The Goblin Queen skimmed at Dirk's thoughts, divining the location of the elven ruins. But there was something very strong within the man's reflections.

~~~

Dirk rose from the koi pond triumphantly, wearing a lily pad like a pauldron. In his tiny, stubby hands was the pelvis of a minotaur frog, body and head as large as the six year old's torso. He knew from experience each of the legs to be stronger than his entire might, but as long as the large feet found no purchase, his achievement was secure!

Proud, was the child as he carefully stepped onto the lawn to run through the hedges. Daring and bold, Dirk charged into his mother's garden party, to present his prize to one man, as all the pretty grown-ups gasped in horror and indignant shame. "Uncle Gene, look!!!"

The strong adventurer Eugene, black sheep of the family, grinned in pride, even as he shook his head. "That's impressive kid. That reminds me of the time..."

A gloved hand closed on the frog's femur even as Dirk's ear was twisted. Both his mother and nurse tossed he and his prize into the ice cellar. Though he shivered in wet clothes, the boy grieved for the frog that he had never intended to harm.

Later that evening, Dirk would earn a caning when the dead frog rose from the warm bath to escape through the window. Somehow, the frog had injured the nurse's head with the floor.

Ice made frogs sleep like the dead, but they could wake. Contemplating such reflections made punishments easier to endure.

~~~

Zera sniffed, turning away. "If your inner child seeks to ask a boon of me, this would be the time to ask."

Dirk's eyetooth dazzled in the torchlight. "Pog! I would like to invite you to a garden party!"

K'chak's beam of anticipation was immediate. The mighty warrior loved crumpets!