Words Hurt

Bradie’s POV

Shaun has been a miserable wreck for the past few days, not having his girlfriend with him all the time is starting to take a toll on him. He’s always had trouble actually finding a girlfriend, so this is a big deal for him. I just wish he’d talk to us about it.

We finally finished the bass for the first few songs of the album, when Shaun just broke down, I’ve never seen him like this before.

“Shaun, tell us what’s going on,” I asked as Andy walks out of the studio, “I’m starting to worry about you.”

“I’m fine,” he said in between sobs.

I feel for him, I really do.

We go back to our rooms to give Shaun some time to pull himself together.

I go over to my suitcase and take my shirt off to change into something that doesn’t smell of sweat and deodorant.

“Putting on a bit of weight there are we Bradie?” Andy comments as he walks in, “maybe it’s all the pizza you’ve been eating lately.”

“Andy shut up!” I snap back at him, putting a shirt on to cover myself.

“Ok, just don’t blame me when you become too big that you won’t be able to lift your drumsticks anymore,” he jokes.

I knew it was a joke, but it hurt.

I go into the bathroom, lock the door, take off my shirt and just look at myself in the mirror.

All I can think is yuck.

Why would anyone love this? I understand now why I’m alone.

I stay in the bathroom for hours, not doing anything, just looking at myself.

Looking around the bathroom sink, I see my toothbrush, contemplating whether to pick it up or not. With a shaky hand I pick it up, eyes still fixed on my refection. Do I really want to do this? I’m not one of those people…am I?

Andy’s POV

This place is so boring, the only things to do here are record, record and I guess, record some more. Bradie has been in the bathroom for hours and I can’t hear anything, just the sound of my own breathing, Shaun is in his room being a baby, sure him and Brooke are going through a rough patch, but to start crying in front of everyone is a bit weak, isn’t it?

Should I see if Bradie is ok? No I’m sure he’s fine.

Maybe I should go talk to Shaun, yeah let’s do that.

I go to Shaun’s room, knocking a few times before I go in.

“Hey, everything ok?” I ask, seeing him curled up in the corner, with his head in his hands.

“Go away!” a muffed voice yells at me, “I just want to be left alone.”

“If you need to talk, just let me know,” I say sitting on his bed, “you’re my best friend.”

He doesn’t reply, which I guess is my cue to go.

As I get up from his bed, I put his phone in my pocket. I need to find out what is wrong.

I wander out and sit in the hallway, and letting myself into his phone.

“Hey Brooke, just wondering how you are, I miss you”

There, that ought to give me some information.

“Hey Sweetie, just out with the friends, missing you like crazy!”

Ok well that didn’t really help…what if…I know.

“Where were you the other day? I mean, you don’t usually go to work that early.”

That should trip her up, at least I hope.

As I wait for Brooke to reply, I hear noise coming from the bathroom, at least he’s not dead.

As I knock on the door, all I can hear is gagging, and soft crying. No. He isn’t, is he?

“Bradie open the door!” I yell at him, hoping he’ll listen.

“No, leave me,” he says in between sobbing.

A smell, one I want to forget, passes under the door.

I guess he took my joke seriously.