Almost There

It had been the day after. Flug hadn't seen Demencia yet. Usually she'd be in the lab, ready to work with her happy-go-lucky or nasty attitude. But she was nowhere to be seen.

He couldn't blame her. After all of this ended, things would be the same. Demencia would keep avoiding him and he'd make no effort to find her.

Effort...to find...

Flug knew she could keep playing this game. He wouldn't be able to, as much as he hated to admit it. He slid a gloved hand down his face.

He had work to do but he really wanted her to be here. Like, really, really wanted her to be here.

Another sigh.

Flug stood up from his chair, ready to get out of his lab.

But how would he apologize?

"I'm done with you."

Flug cringed, remembering their fight. It hurt to think about them not interacting anymore. She saved his life... she still has to care a little.

Could he fake a near-death experience? Surely if she saved him again, they'd be friends again.

Flug was wrong. Oh so wrong.

...

The desperate scientist stuck a lighter to his beloved lab coat, watching it catch flame. Demencia was in the kitchen doing something with water. He heard the tap running earlier.

Flug ran into the kitchen, arms flailing and looking hysterical. Demencia jumped at the sudden action, then gave him a long cold stare. He felt the heat creep up his back slowly, but it was nothing compared to what he'd experienced before.

Flug softly shook his hands in the air, attempting to get something outta her. Demencia reached over the stove then grabbed a pot of water. She dumped it over his head then walked away.

"What the fuck!" He cried. The water was just under boiling hot, thank God, but it was still hot as hell! He screeched, tearing off his lab coat and bag. It could leave burns... but it thankfully cooled down a bit before it breached his skin.

Flug smacked a hand over his face, then slid it down. What was wrong with her?

"Demencia!" He yelled, running out of the kitchen to catch up to her. She spun on her heel to face him.

"Leave me alone! I swear to God I'll break your legs!" She snapped.

Flug's grasp on her arm didn't falter. She stared back at him sternly. The scientist didn't dare speak, instead let go of her arm. She didn't move.

He was scared to say anything. Any wrong words and she'd stomp away. There were so many things he wanted to say...

Flug stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her. Demencia was silent, and still. He was worried. Was she about to break his legs? There's no way she couldn't feel his heartbeat right now.

Her body shook. He released her a little bit to look at her face. She bit her lip as tears poured down her face. A loud sniffle came from her.

Flug only resumed hugging her, not saying anything. He sighed. A choked sob broke the silence, then some more sobbing. She hugged back, squeezing him to death.

"I-I didn't want to forgive you because you're such an asshole..." Demencia forced out, still crying.

"But I couldn't do without you."

Flug chuckled softly, still being embraced.

"I can't believe you didn't break my legs."

"I'll still do it."