19. Epilogue

"Do you remember our honeymoon?" Serena asked him on their anniversary six years later.

Floating candles graced their home, the light scent of vanilla and almond cozily wrapping them up. The stars were just beginning to peek out of the dusky purple and indigo night sky.

She looked even more beautiful than she did when he first saw her running up the aisle in the Great Hall.

Her hair had streaks of silver now and her face was not as sharp, the veins on her delicate hands beginning to rise closer to the surface. He had started to show signs of middle age such as a similar silver streaked head but it was a sign of living life well. Many were not granted that privilege.

He sat down beside his wife, placing a kiss on her shoulder. How could he not remember? They had all but devoured each other on that first night, barely able to get in the door of their home, clothing ripped off, hot breaths declaring their intent, and toe curling screams.

A total loss of control and enjoyment in that fact. He had never felt completely at peace until that month in the woods of Estonia. They loved it so much there that they built a second home on a small plot of land close to a village.

He bared his soul that trip, completely lowering his walls and letting Serena in on all of his secrets. She cried deep, lung wracking sobs for his soul which had been "obliterated into pieces, then sewn back together."

She returned the favor, if it could be called that, and showed him the abuse she suffered at the hands of her parents, and how she trained to become a Charms Mistress in order to help children learn how to defend themselves. He had been enraged, threatening the whole of the world for hurting his true love.

They were soul spent, but it was incredibly worth it.

"Dada!" came a sudden squeal from the floor below them.

Severus looked down at their one year old son Atlas Prince Snape. The pudgy baby grinned, the drool free flowing out of his four toothed mouth. He lifted his arms hopefully to him, the happy squeals growing louder.

Severus never expected to be a father. He never thought a family was in his cards. But a few years into their marriage, both had felt a similar tug for expansion. It was the truest test of grace for him.

He swore to her belly during pregnancy that he would be a better father and break the cycle of violence and disrespect. For certain he was still sarcastic and sharp tongued but around his son and wife, he was smooth and warm. They were his strength and weakness all rolled into one.

When the doctor placed a still bloody newborn Atlas into his arms, he knew he would make it. That his son could be whoever he wanted and he would support him. Love unconditional.

He would do absolutely anything for them and he knew without a doubt that Serena would destroy the earth if it meant keeping them both safe and loved.

She had trusted him fully when he taught an apprentice to take over his role at Hogwarts for a whole year. When he opened his own apothecary in Hogsmeade and when he became the main potion brewer for St. Mungo's Hospital.

She continued to teach at Hogwarts, where they all resided during the school year. Atlas received the best care of a magical nanny during school hours and Severus returned to their quarters each night.

A life of blessed routine. Fidelity like clockwork. A reprieve from a previous lifetime of imprisonment, fully free to partake in the joyousness of life despite its sometimes tedious nature. Security in the peace. A world all their own.

"Yes my love, I remember" he kissed her softly.

He then picked up Atlas, holding the dark haired, bourbon brown eyed baby close to his chest to stop him from making the pile of toys fly into his lap in order to get his attention. Serena often remarked that they would be in trouble as he grew, but Severus looked forward to it. Harnessing the power of magic was a lot like immersing yourself in love and learning how to use its power for good. And now, he understood how to do both.

"I'm glad I asked you for tea..." she murmured, leaning against him, gratefulness washing over them.

"Me too...I love you" he stated proudly, the fear with that phrase long since gone.

"I love you too" she answered, intertwining her arms with his and settling in for a few minutes of peace with her beautiful family before the bedtime routine started.