Anonymous

Jade POV

I was standing on my balcony mulling over my encounter with Varian when I noticed something blue coming my direction. As it came closer I noticed it was a kite with a box attached. I reached up and brought it down to my level. Holding the kite and box in my hands, I walked inside and sat on my bed. I opened it to discover a note with a purple lab coat. Reading the note it said:
Dear Jade
Right now, this doesn't make sense but one day you will need it.
Sometimes we push the ones we love away to keep them safe.
-Anonymous
"Well this is obviously about Varian. Could he just be trying to protect me. Or what?" I say, thinking out loud. " if there's going to be answers anywhere, it will be the lab" I think to myself leaving my room. Knowing it wasn't safe to go alone I run to Eugene's room and knock on the door.
" hello?" Eugene answered.
" Eugene it's me, Jade, I need your help with something"
Eugene opened the door ushering me in " what can I help you with?" He asked
I sat on the edge of his bed . " I want to go to the lab for answers to questions I have, but, I don't think it's safe to go alone. Can you come with me for backup?" I ask him
" the lab?! As in the lab"
" yes the lab, please" I plead
" Alright. When do we leave?"
" right now"

Time skip to lab

I slowly open the door and step over the tripwire. Entering the main lab I start looking around.
" so?.....what are we looking for?" Eugene asks.
" a clue or just anything"
" didn't you spend all your life here"
" Didn't you spend half your life living a lie" i snapped
" touché " he replied .
I look over to a wall and notice the drawing of Varian and I pinned up. I then start to notice it blow in the breeze making me turn around. As I spin, I catch a glimpse of my own face reflected in a pair of goggles. My eyes widen. I motion to Eugene, telling him to hide behind the covered clump of amber. Just as Eugene is out of sight, Varian emerges from the shadows.
"Welcome back, Princess" He sneers
"I didn't choose to be one, you know that. You were there the day I was taken from Old Carona."
"It doesn't matter, it still ended the same way: with you in a castle and me alone."
"I tried to save your father, there was nothing I could do. Quirin was more of a father to me than the king. I would have given anything for him to be free." I say, exasperated.
"But that wasn't enough, was it?" He snapped.
"You told me you would never blame me for any of this."
"I don't blame you!" Varian squeaked in a brief lapse of his anger, "But what's done, is done and he's trapped in that amber."
"Is this what your father would have wanted? Us fighting, instead of working together? And you going against the entire kingdom of Carona?"
"That's enough!" Varian shouts, grasping my shoulders and pushing me to the ground.
"Ow!" I cry out in pain "Varian..." I sob.
"Jade...I-I didn't mean... I'm sorry, I think you should go"
"Yes, we should" Eugene says, coming out of hiding and helping me up.
Eugene begins guiding me out but there is one last thing wracking my brain.
"Varian, did you send me something this morning?"
"I don't know what you're talking about" Varian says softly. With a small smile, he winks at me.
"What the—" I give him a confused smile back.
"That's it. Time to go." Eugene tugs on my wrist and begins walking out.

Time Skip
That night my father summoned me to the throne room. The muscles in my legs ache after such exhaustion today, so I sit in my wheelchair and make my way to the king.when I come in, my father has his back to me.
"You wanted to see me?" I said shyly.
Without turning to face me, he starts speaking, "I heard you saw that boy today"
"I just needed to have some questions answered"
"Varian is dangerous, you never know what he will do" He scolds.
"I grew up by Varian's side, he would never intentionally hurt me. We're so close that his thoughts were once mine too."
My father turns around, locking eyes with me and places his crown atop his head.
"Varian is no longer the boy you used to know. Can I trust you to stay away from him?"
"You can't keep me away from someone I still have faith in"
"Then you leave me no choice. As king of Carona, I forbid you from leaving the castle grounds."
"You were never a king to me, nor a father" I turn around and start to wheel away. I pause for a minute with one last thought.
"You can't keep me locked up in here like a frightened child; you already have Rapunzel for that." I wheel my way out of the room and lower my head. My hair falls over my forehead, hiding my eyes as my face hardens.