5: Trades are tricky

Dom sent me down to level 48 again the next turn. In the meantime he'd given me two more Hi-mid jobs to the same firm. My flirtation with the receptionist had added another six creds to my savings pot. I now had enough for one new boot and was working towards a second. I felt quite cheerful about the prospect of Dom's legs taking another couple of turns to recover.  At this rate I'd actually be able to get new boots though for the moment my repairs had meant they'd stopped being uncomfortable.  As instructed I buzzed CSO Das once I left Dom's apartment. I felt a vague sense of disappointment when it went to 'leave a message'. I don't know why because there was no reason whatsoever for him to be waiting for me to call. He was probably busy beating the shit out of some miscreant or other and unable to answer his PComs. I had a vision of him resting a boot on the perpetrator's chest, telling them not to fuck him off by moving and then answering the coms. I was still laughing when he returned the call.

"Where are you now?"

"Hi, I'm just getting to 36."

"Wait for me on 40. I have to come down levels so you'll be there before me." He cut the connection. CSO Das it appeared did not go in for any of the 'how are you' 'have a nice day' shit that punctuated most conversations.

The concourse on 40 is quite reasonable. Shabbier than higher levels but there is a cookie qwik stall, a kafbar, an Omnimart and a variety of booths selling bits and pieces. No seats though so I propped myself against a pillar and waited. He arrived about twenty minutes later.

"Sorry I was taking a shower and I didn't hear the coms."

"You were off duty?"

"Yes I don't spend all my time on 47 and 48 much though I love their homely and welcoming atmosphere." I assumed he was being ironic. It's hard to tell with Forcers especially as you can't see much of their faces under the protective helmet. About the only thing I could see were his eyes, which were blue. I felt guilty about the fact that he'd been off duty and apologised. He shrugged.

"I don't mind. It's not like I had a list of pressing social engagements and it won't take long." He turned and I followed him on to the down scaler. He was right it didn't take long. We had no trouble; in fact we didn't see anyone at all in the distance between the bottom of the scaler and the locker bank. I got the feeling that everyone had scuttled into the shadows and would re-emerge after he'd gone past. I didn't care. I was just glad to drop the stuff and get out of there as fast as possible. I was intrigued by CSO Das. I consider myself a misfit in Esperance but a Forcer who didn't take cuts and was prepared to give up off duty time to do someone a favour? It was off the wall weird. I also did feel more than a bit guilty about the fact he was giving up his own time. That's a precious commodity when you work twelve hour shifts every day and get one rest day every work cycle of ten days. When we got to 40 I blurted out

"Can I buy you a drink, a kaftee or a beer or something?"

"What?" He stopped and turned to me "Why would you want to buy me a drink? I'm not a woman or hadn't you noticed?" And he accused me of not being able to resist taking the piss.

"I noticed. It's just I really appreciate you giving up your free time. You probably saved my life and now I'm able to oblige my boss without risk and save up for new boots into the bargain so it seems only fair to..." I shrugged and stopped.

"You want to treat me to a drink for doing my job? That doesn't wash. What's the real reason?" He sounded annoyed and I most certainly did not want him to cut me loose. I really didn't fancy my chances on my own down there.

"I know it's not how people operate in Esperance but I'm stupid like that. Also I really want to know why you do what you do. It's so far off the norm it's disconcerting."