Joe brings Izzy for a Visit

Special thanks to mcorona7 for being such a loyal reader and leaving comments. She is also a very gifted historical novelist. Stop by and give her a read! 

I would be thrilled to write a dedication for you, just be brave and leave me a comment; anything you want to write is fine; just don't pull a Simon Cowell on me. Thanks so much for reading!

“Hi, Lizzie!” Josiah had managed to bring his sister over to visit her today.

“Hi, Izzy!” Lizzie cried. It was great to see Isobel riding in front of Joe on Midnight. She was such a cute little girl, although almost unbearably thin. Lizzie was eager to get her inside and offer her some food. Then, perhaps, they would have time to read a bit. Lizzie had just started her course to be a teacher six months ago, but she had always enjoyed teaching younger children when she had gotten the chance.

“Hi, Lizzie.” Josiah smiled shyly before dismounting and tying Midnight. Midnight was tall and thin like his rider, with hair that had lost its luster and even a few small bald patches. His ribs were easily noted, and the planes of his face were bold. He had a nervous expression on his face most of the time, perhaps stemming from the perpetual hunger, or maybe it was just a natural restlessness.

Josiah turned to Isobel, his favorite little sister, and helped her easily from the saddle. He sat her down on the grass, and they walked up to the porch to greet Lizzie. Midnight stamped his hooves, and whinnied pulling at the rope. He did not want his water bucket to be forgotten.

Lizzie smiled looking at the pair of them; She was so happy to see the Walshes. Isobel had been the last child born to Joe’s mother before she passed away, and many said she looked a lot like her. Isobel had wide blue eyes, and cornsilk fine blond hair, although it didn’t shimmer the way it used to, Lizzie noticed. Her hair had grown a little dull, and she looked far too thin for a nine year old. She was so thin in fact, that her skin looked as if it had been stretched right across the bones of her face. Other than that, she would have been very pretty; in fact she still was. Even prettier than me, in fact, Lizzie noticed with a bit of envy, but she brushed it aside quickly, eager to welcome her guests.

When Josiah was on the porch, he looked directly at her and smiled again. He had a beautiful smile. Lizzie stood a little straighter; Josiah was just her height. She had no worries about towering over him. She was enjoying the moment, but Midnight’s whinny reminded her that he had not had water, and in Midnight’s case, feed was in order as well, she decided. Hopefully, Patsy would not think her too wasteful if she brought out a cup or two of feed for the skinny horse.

“I should fill a water bucket for Midnight, Josiah.” Lizzie decided.

“Oh, no, I’ll get it Lizzie. Let Isobel stay here with you.”

Isobel had her arms around Lizzie and was leaning against her, as if she were tired.

“Would you like to sit down, Izzie?”

Isobel turned her face towards Lizzie and smiled. It seemed she hardly had energy to speak. Turning her head and smiling seemed to take a huge effort.

Lizzie heard the sound of Josiah working the pump, and Midnight trying to nudge him out of the way to get the water immediately. She smiled at the horse’s impatience and Josiah’s concentration.

Lizzie took a seat on the porch, and pulled Isobel up into her lap. She was so light. Her hip bones jutted into Lizzie’s thigh, making her a bit uncomfortable. It was nice to have the little girl here though. She hoped she would get a chance to read to her, and maybe teach her a few new words before they had to leave.