VIII: Oxygen

Gennie

"Can you get this off of me? It's so hot." I said panting from struggling to remove the straitjacket.

"I can't. The last time I tried to help you, you tried to attack me."

"Because you tried to look at my face." I argued.

"What got you to lift it up for him?"

"Who?" I played dumb.

"Stokeley."

"I didn't. What?"

"Alright. Let me ask you this." She paused. "When's the last time somebody's seen your face?"

"The last time I'd been raped." I confessed.

"You were never raped. Your father never lets anyone in the house and I highly disagree with any possibility of him hitting you in any kind of way. Just by the way he expresses his concerns and undying love for you, Gennie. You are protected."

"Leave. Please. You're just like the rest of them. Just go. Tell them I'm better. This is as well as I'm ever gonna get."

"I'd like to take you out one day."

"When my face heals up maybe."

"Which is definable never." I thought.

"Show me. I'll believe you."

"No."

"Does your father get to see it?"

"When he rapes me. And when he hits me." I said sincerely. "Please don't tell him you know. I'm begging you!"

"I believe. Now let me see."

I contemplated.

"The worst she can do is run. Just show her. Just breathe."

I took a deep breathing of nothing and raised my head.

She covered her mouth with tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry. I should've listened."

I wanted to cry. So bad. All I wanted was to cry for once. And I couldn't.

"Are you happy now? I'm a monster. I'm ugly. I'm messed up. I'm meant to be hiding in the dark shadows all my life. He made me believe him. He did this to me and told me he was the only one who would want me after. And I believed him. He won't tell me my whole name or who I am or where I'm from. All I remember is my mothers name. Kora."

All she could do was stare. And I wasn't surprised.

"Just please don't put me in a home! I'm not crazy! I promise!" I pleaded.

"We've gotta get you to a hospital." She said calmly.

I was taken aback. "I can't. I can't leave. He'll kill me."

"Were there others?"

"I don't know." I sighed.

"You're going. You can't do anything about it. I'm calling for help." She touched my shoulder. "Hang tight."

I watched as she left the room.

I bowed my head and sobbed weakly.

Until all of a sudden about an hour later I was being lifted off the ground.

I was trying to get away but I couldn't breathe. This straitjacket was too tight around me. I fainted from lack of oxygen.