XII: Sweets

Gennie

Tomorrow is the day that I get out of this place. This nurse is to irritating. Asking me every 30 seconds if I need something. If I was hungry or had to use the restroom. Every time she asked,  I ignored her. Unless she was giving me my medication.

I had watched as the roses began to wilt. I wasn't surprised.

The ticking of the clock still reminded me of the first time I'd been raped. It felt like hours. It got worse because some detectives had come in to question me a bit more. They're worried that there have been other victims. But I'm no use to know. So I shrugged everything off and refused to show my face.

Mrs. Henley said I was putting on a little weight and told me I need more carbs. Whatever those are.

So I've had a lot of ice cream and get well cake and junk all around. Well that's what Stokeley snuck in for me.

I won't lie. It's been making me feel a certain way and I don't remember how to express it.

He taught me to use the TV, read the clock, and call the nurse by myself. And he pushed back the curtain so I could meet Jahseh.

Jahseh was extremely nice too. He kept eyeballing the nurse and asked for her number a couple times before she gave it to him.

He probably just wants to be nice because he pities me. Nobody could ever care so quickly like he's done for me. It's too good to be true.

It was about 10 AM and I was just finishing brushing my teeth. Then I made my way to the windowsill and stared out the window.

The sun beaming in my eyes I decided to stare. Maybe that's what I'd needed to heal me. I had no clue. I couldn't feel it burning until I was being pulled back from the window.

"What're you doing? That can blind you, y'know!" Stokeley said sitting me on the edge of the bed.

I looked down feeling dumb. "I'm sorry."

"Nah don't be. You gotta explore. You know the drill." He said holding up a big plastic bag and a spoon.

"More vanilla ice cream?"

"No ma'am! I got you something different today."

"What?"

He reached in the bag and pulled out 3 bags of candy. Sour Patch Kids, Skittles, and Swedish Fish. I stiffly smiled at the colors on the big bags.

Then he pulled out a bowl and opened the candy and dumped them all in there, proceeding to mix them up.

"And, American Dream." He held up the Ben and Jerry's carton.

"Thanks." I said taking the bowl from him.

I began eating the candy. Then I offered him some.

"Nah. I'm in the gym lately and I don't
wanna trigger an appetite." He shook his head.

"Oh and look what I brought!" He exclaimed, holding up my journal.

I noticed that my pen wasn't in it.

"You read it." I said feeling much more down.

"Sorry."

I stayed silent.

Then he eventually began feeding me the ice cream.

I didn't respond because I didn't want anymore. I just sat there unresponsively.

"Why do you do that?" He asked curiously.

"Do what?" I muttered.

"You just fall off. Like out the blue you stop reacting." He said closing the ice cream.

I shrugged.

"And you shrug. Like you don't care."

"I'm aware."

"You're so cold."

"Well I just ate ice cream." I said smartly.

"Bipolar." He teased. "You keep ignoring people. It's not nice."

I sighed and laid back down. Ignoring everything else he'd said until he shut up and left.