Age 1 1981

I do not own any characters except Anna. The rest belongs to J.K.Rowling.

"Severus! I found some news on your sister for you." Dumbeldore announced as he strode into Snapes' office.

Snape who was trying to feed Anna some oatmeal, gave up and placed the spoon on the tray.

"What is it Albus? You know Anna won't eat when you're around."

"Sorry, forgot. Anyway your sister wasn't your fathers' child. She was a pureblood."

"So that means she was concieved while mum was here at school?"

"No, however, she was the unknown child that the Potters took in."

"So the potters adopted her?"

"No, but she was the potters' child none-the-less. Her father was James' father. Harry and Anna are cousins."

Snape stared at him in shock. The boy who had tormented him in school, then befriended him, had a claim on his little girl. "So James is Annas' uncle as well?"

"He was yes. It's been a year Severus. He's dead, why won't you let go of what he did while you were in school? He apologized for it, and you know he made an excellent auror. There's no reason to hate him anymore."

"I don't hate him Albus. James was my friend. You of all people should know that. No I don't hate him. You forget that I loved Lily as well. James helped me to not make a descion that I would have otherwise made. One that would have killed her. But someone else still made that choice and it still resulted in her death."

"She was happy with him."

"I know. But I can't help thinking that if she'd been with me, she might not have died that night. That neither of them would have died that night. She chose to be with James though, and now I have to live without two of my closest friends, another is in Azkaban, and the fourth is God knows where. I don't know if I should tell her about this, what if the same thing happens to her? Worse, what if she ends up in the same situation as Lily?"

"She won't Severus. And if she is going to end up in the same situation, it won't matter whether or not you told her. But you don't have to tell her if you don't want to." With that he turned and left.

Snape reached over and pulled Anna out of her highchair. He held her close, needing the weight of her in his arms to comfort him.