Surprise! An unexpected party.

The eve of sloth and his servamp came home later in the evening than usual having gotten groceries for him and Kuro after hanging out with Ryusei and Koyuki for his birthday. The NEET servamp kept making him take longer than Mahiru wanted by asking for stuff, then saying he wanted something else. Mahiru was close to yelling at him, but managed to keep his cool. As he entered his apartment he turned on the lights and was greeted with a very big surprise. "Surprise Mahiru! Happy birthday!" Several voices rang out as his friends jumped out of their hiding spots. Misono and Lilly, Tetsu and Hugh, Licht and Hyde, which was a surprise in itself, and a friendly face he did not expect to see any time soon. Standing with the others was Sakuya Watanuki.

"You guys planned this? And Sakuya came too?" Mahiru was overjoyed to see them here and now realized Kuro distracting him with the groceries was a way to keep him away long enough for the party without him knowing. "I don't know what to say, except you all are the best friends I could have." Mahiru said with a big smile. "Of course Mahiru I'll go all out for your birthday~" Lilly said with  smile as his hand began removing his shirt. "Lilly keep your clothes on!" Misono shouted at his servamp.  Kuro jumped off his shoulder and took human form. "Yeah, happy birthday. We got some cake..." The lazy servamp said. 

"Yeah we got a cake for you big bro Mahiru." Tetsu said, his servamp Hugh sitting on his shoulder like a kid having a piggy back ride. After thanking everyone for coming Mahiru went and talked with Sakuya to thank him personally and see how he was doing. "I'm so glad you could make it. You have no idea how much this means to me. But how did you come, Tsubaki doesn't know that you came to see me does he?" Mahiru asked Sakuya. His friend had a strange smirk for a moment before answering. "I wouldn't miss this for the world. As for Tsubaki, he knows. Lets just say I managed to convince him to let me come and see you." As he said this Mahiru was curious as to what Sakuya could have said or done to talk the servamp of Melancholy into this, but decided not to ask.

After the cake which was a simple yet delicious vanilla buttercream birthday cake, Mahiru opened the gifts everyone got him. Misono and Lilly got him a nice rather expensive watch, which Mahiru thanked them for. Tetsu and Hugh got him a DVD, Mahiru thanked them as well. He also thanked Licht and Hyde for the front row tickets to Licht's next performance. And thanked Kuro who got him a video game, which Mahiru decided not to ask where his servamp got the money, since the thought was what counted.  As for Sakuya he got his friend a mp3 with some songs already on it. "Thank you Sakuya." Mahiru hugged his friend. But the greatest gift Sakuya gave him was being there. That night was perhaps the best birthday Mahiru ever had.