Zeus

"Ganymede, dear one, will you return to my side?" Zeus asked from his place in his large, feathered bed.

The mortal he spoke of had his back to the king. His eyes were downcast, staring at the clouds that shielded the kingdom of Olympus from the human race. When Ganymede did not respond, mighty Zeus pulled himself out of bed. He was nude and held no shame for his lack of clothing. He crossed the room to stand behind the young man, and he placed his hands on Ganymede's smooth shoulders. The boy blinked and looked over his shoulder. His blue-green eyes were bright with tears, his cheeks flushed. Zeus' breath caught in his throat. He turned Ganymede around so the youth was facing him. With his calloused thumb, Zeus wiped away a stray tear from Ganymede's cheek.

"What thoughts plague you, my love, that make you weep? Tell me so that I may soothe you," Zeus whispered.

Ganymede turned his head, forcing his eyes away from the king of the gods. When he spoke, his voice was shaking.

"I have been here for nearly two months, great lord, and I have grown unhappy. My home country is destined for battle with the armies of Agamemnon, and I cannot be there to defend Troy in her greatest hour. I am thankful for the attention and love that you have bestowed on me, but my place in your bed has caused discord within your house. Your wife, the powerful queen Hera, she despises me, and I cannot blame her. I took you away from her and she will curse me in spite. I am afraid. I am sad. I-I want to go home," Ganymede said, finally looking back to Zeus and letting his tears fall freely once more.

Without a moment of hesitation, Zeus pulled the boy into his embrace, holding him tightly. "Stay your tears, sweet Ganymede, please. It pains my soul to see you in such distress." Zeus kissed the boy's golden curls, rubbing his bare back.

Ganymede pulled away and wiped his tears. His eyes were puffy and pink, his cheeks tear stained. "Forgive me, my king. It is improper of me to cry before you. I am Trojan. I should not have shown such weakness."

With a free hand, Zeus waved the notion away. "Nonsense, dear one, nonsense. You have every right to be upset. I am at fault for your broken heart. I should not have taken you from Troy, but with the knowledge I have, I could not stand to watch as your city fell, and you fall with it."

Ganymede's eyes widened, and he took a step back. "Troy will fall?" He asked, breathless.

Zeus sighed deeply, running his fingers through his short, dark brown curls. "Troy's fate was sealed the moment that foolish Paris chose my daughter, Aphrodite, over my wife. Not even I can stop what will happen to that great city. I'm sorry, Ganymede, but I will not allow you to return for you will surely die. I cannot let that happen. You mean too much to me."

Zeus reached for his lover but Ganymede took another step back. His tears fell freely and his chest rose and fell quickly. Zeus recognized this as panic, and a knot of guilt formed in his stomach.

"Ganymede," Zeus said.

The Trojan shook his head. In a swift motion, he grabbed his discarded chiton from the floor and left Zeus' chambers. The king watched him go, silently cursing his tongue for the words he had spoken.