Chapter 25: Jay Halstead

We stayed back, we all knew that by the time it took for us to pull the trigger and for the bullet to reach Antwan, Jadeyn would be dead. This is like a loose loose situation. 
I couldn't believe that that sick man made her watch her best friend go through that. What person is even capable of something so bad? 
"You missed my favorite part. Tell them." He ordered her, but she stayed silent. "I made love to her. Jason failed, but I didn't, did I?" He sounded proud.
Rape is one of the worst things that can happen to anyone but hearing that it happened to my little sister made me squirm in my own skin.
She again, stayed quite, didn't elaborate. She was hiding something, she didn't tell us something. "Then you hit me upside the head and escaped, and it was half a year before we found you again, but I think that was my favourite of our get together's, that was a good night." 
Get together's? This guy really was a psychopath. "Oh you don't think that was a good night?" "No I didn't you beat me and left me for dead in an ally way and killed m-" I cut myself off. 
Her what? What didn't she want us to know?
"Killed your what? An abomination?" He spat at her. 
No, this wasn't happening to her. It couldn't. I didn't want to believe it. 
You could see the anger radiating off her. 
 "An abomination?!" She screamed at him. "My child! You killed my baby. My unborn child. That you gave me!" 
She went through all of that? I thought it was bad enough she and Rowen were on the run for two years and have witnessed so much death, but that doesn't compare to sexual harassment and to have the same man beat you until you lose the fetus. 
The team gasped at the reality her words brought to the dreadful situation and what her and the child sitting next to Will have gone through.
Tears sprung to my eyes for my sister, for what shes been through, and her unborn child.
"It wasn't even a baby." He clenched the gun in his hand.
"Yes it was! Six months, I was showing! It was a baby, my baby. My daughter. And you killed her." 
She didn't just have a fetus, she had a baby in her belly. My poor sister. I wanted this bastard behind bars for the rest of his miserable life.
"My pleasure. You should have died with the other Mills." He told her.
"You're right. I should have. Death would be easier than what you put me through. So do it. Shoot me.  At least I'll be with my daughter so kill me, I don't care. I have nothing left." She couldn't really mean that. The pit in my stomach grew as I knew I was helpless to do anything about what is going to happen next.
I just got her back.
"Jadeyn what the hell are you doing? Stop!" I yelled. She had to see reason.
I understand her coming out here and saving the boys but does she really want to die? I can't lose her. I looked over at Greg who had tears running down his face once again. He was defiantly the softy of the group, but he's always been that way, always seeing the good in people. At least I wasn't the only one feeling helpless in this situation.
"Jadeyn. Don't do this." Will begged her.
"Come on kill me. Get it over with. You've waited this long. So shoot me!" She yelled at him. Before I knew what was happening, Jadeyn walked up to Antwan and pressed her forehead to barrel of his gun, "do it. I dare you." I closed my eyes when he turned the safety off the gun.
"You want me to kill you. You really do. Which makes this no fun." He lowered the gun from Jadeyn's head and I let out a breath. He wasn't going to kill her.
My relief was short lived because he pointed the gun at Rowen and my brother. "Say goodbye." "Now." Hank said and we all lightly jogged over, running would cause him to pull the trigger faster. Jadeyn dove out for him, hitting his torso and knocking them both in a ball of limbs to the ground.
Some of the group went right to Will and Rowen and untied them.
I was still making my way over to Jadeyn and Antwan when a shot filled my ears.
They were both laying there unmoving. I stopped in my tracks. Not blinking. I was frozen in my spot. 

Then there was movement. 
The body on top flipped and someone crawled out from under and stood. 
Jadeyn dropped the gun and whispered, "goodbye." He told her to say goodbye, she did, to him. 
Hank grabbed my shoulder as his phone rang. "You're kidding me right? Find him!" He ordered threw gritted teeth. Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement, someone coming out of the tree line.  "That was Sergeant Platt. It seems that Jason Mills escaped." The man held out something shinny. "Jadeyn move!" I don't think she heard me, my voice carried away in the sound of multiple shots being taken. I held out my gun and shot the man running close to us. 
He dropped the gun and fell when one of our bullets hit him. Hank, Kim and Kevin ran ahead of us to check out the man - who we all knew was Jason Mills, to see if he was dead. 
"No!" Will screamed and I shot my head in his direction, and saw him sprinting to a falling Jadeyn. I reached her before anyone did. A red spot on her shirt quickly turned the whole t-shirt red. She was hit. Will slid to her side and lifted up her shirt. 
"Shit." 
"Hold on Jadeyn. You're going to be okay." 
"She's hemorrhaging, she needs an OR right now!"" Will said and spouted a long list of medical terms I didn't even knew were words in the English language. 
Greg came to her other side and held her hand. 
I pulled Jadeyn's head onto my lap. "Shit. Coat. Jay give me your coat." I shrugged off my coat in record time and handed it to Will. He balled it up and pressed it tightly to her growing wound. 
Jadeyn let out a bubbled scream. My heart cracked. "I know. I know it hurts, I'm sorry." Will had just as much pain in his face as I did. We've been told that he was the one who shows more emotion. Just looking over at my little brother I could see how hard he was trying to mask the fear and pain this is coursing through him. 
"It's okay." She gurgled as a drop of blood came out of her mouth and dripped down her cheek to her neck. 
Greg lifted his shaking hand and wiped it away. 
I grabbed her other hand. She squeezed it. 
"I love you guys." She struggled to say, then her eyes closed and she went limp in my arms. 
"No, please no. No." I whispered. 
"Jay." Will got my attention. "She isn't dead. Not yet. She passed out from blood loss and her body is conserving all of it's energy."
Forget what I said before about feeling helpless when she had a gun to her head. This is the most useless and helpless ever. 
The ambulance came and Will got in with her. When they took her off of me, my hands and shirt were covered in her blood. So was Will and Greg. I don't know how much blood is in the human body but if I had to guess, there's more of Jadeyn's blood on us then in Jadeyn. 
"Greg. Let's go. Now." He stood and we walked beside the gurney, an oxygen mask sat on Jadeyn's face and Will was straddling her, holding pressure on the bullet wound. 
I grabbed his arm before they got into the ambulance. "Will, save our sister." 
"I will. I won't let her die." 
With that Greg and I followed the ambulance to the hospital and waited in the waiting room. 
About an hour later the group came. We all stayed the night, waiting for news on Jadeyn.