Prologue

Let's get this out of the way. This is a flashback to a year ago. My name is Mira Fletcher. I'm twenty-six. I'm an English teacher. I'm also married. I'm a bigger girl with long black hair and dark brown eyes with pale skin. My best friend is my co-worker, Ronald Izekian. Oh! I also hate the man I married!

Anyways, on with the flashback....

"Are you excited to meet your future husband?!" My mom gushed as she paced back and forth in the living room.

"I guess so." I didn't even glance up from the essays I was grading.

"Mira, now is hardly the time to be grading homework!" She scolded me as she realized what I was doing.

"I told my classes I would get them their essays back by Monday. It's not my fault that you decided to schedule an impromptu visit during the busiest part of the school year. The end of the semester is coming up and you want me to get married now! Of all times! I still have I make their final!"

"Mira!" She groaned, collapsing into the chair. "With you teaching, you guys will never have any time for each other!"

"I don't mind that." I shrugged still focusing on their essay. I winced at one of the misspellings of my student. "Ayyyye. Rebecca, we'll have to work on this more."

Rebecca was dyslexic, so she and I usually spent more time focusing on spelling since none of her other teachers had ever bothered to help her. It was sad. She was a junior in high school and not one teacher had bothered to help her with her dyslexia.

Then the doorbell rang.

"Go get it Mira! I'll put your essays on the counter!" My mother hurriedly stood up, ushering me towards the front door.

I sighed, adjusting my Chris Young tee shirt and capris before walking to the door. I opened it smiling warmly at the people in front of me.

"You must be the Fletcher family. Please. Come in." I greeted them politely, my eyes lighting up with warmth.

I stepped aside and they all walked inside. The mom have me a huge grin as she did. My mom got them all seated around the coffee table with lots of refreshment options. I chuckled a bit at how hard my mom was trying.

My eyes focused on the floor as my mom gestured to the soldier in front of me. Is it sad that I had no interest in men on uniform? It's not that I don't support them and all. It's just I didn't find them attractive if they wore military stuff.

"Mira, please pay attention when I speak." My mother spoke rudely interrupting thought process and the music playing in my head.

It was Straight No Chaser's cover of "Let It Go". Instead of continuing to ignore my mother and the man, I actually focused my gaze on her. Anyone could see the attention I put on her said, "I'm listening, now please continue on while I pretend to care." She shot me an ugly look before turning back to the young man and his parents.

"As I was saying," she cleared her throat almost snobbish-like. "This is my only daughter, Mira."

I held out my hand to them, smiling shyly as I forced myself to make eye contact. His dad shook my hand first. His grip was extremely firm. It kind of hurt my hand.

"My name is Owen." His voice was stiff and cold. "Nice to meet you."

Owen was a tall man. At least around six feet tall. He was also extremely tan, and his hair had that salt and pepper look to it. He had stone cold gray eyes, and he had some wrinkles on his tan face. His build was one that made people second guess whether or not they could actually win against him. Literally the aura around him just demanded respect. He seemed stiff and almost judgmental.