The Strange Room

A large three-headed dog was snoozing on the floor, right infront of the door mother needed to open. The dog or dogs, had large green collars around their necks. Each with a different name: Rose, Dagger, and Sly. Sly was the only one awake. He seemed to have a smaller head, with a large, black patch covering a dazzling baby blue eye. The other eye was a bright green. Just like one of fathers "friends"; Mr. Raleigh.  

Mr.Raleigh is a mean old man who always smells like liquor. He smokes every morning and abuses his only daughter; Stella. A pretty girl. She does everything for her father, but he seems to always be angry at her. He hits her with a stick, that he also uses on the lame mule. Father says its for her own good, I don't see why though. She's very nice, respectful, and doesn't complain. She doesn't even scream when her father hits her. I hope my father is wrong and that she runs away. 

Rose seems like the nicest one of the three. Her eyes were closed, so I didn't know what color they had. She had brown spots covering her ears. One of which looked like a rose. 

Finally there was Dagger. Dagger seemed like the biggest and meanest looking of the three. His whole head was spot free. And white as snow. His sharp canines were sticking out, making him look terrifying. I grasped mothers hand tighter. I felt like a coward for not standing infront of her in order to protect her. But I was afraid. This mostorous dog really scared me and interested me. 

Mother looked at me and said, "Don't be scared, Severus. It's harmless. They used to be my pets, I named them."  

I couldn't believe what I had heard! She kept this creature as a pet. She fed them and named them. Who keeps a monster as a pet? Apparently, my dear mum.  

I couldn't contain my curiousity in any longer. "Why, mummy, would you keep such a scary monster?" She laughed aty question. I was beginning to feel as if I had ask a stupid question.  

"Oh, my sweet boy," she replied," Remember what I said, about being special. When you're special you have special pets. Some are simple. Like: cats, rats, owls, and toads. You see there are many creatures in the wizarding world. Many strange and beautiful, others weird and horrifying. We tend to keep those that cause fear to protect our homes, belongings, and even people. That is why I kept them. They amazed me." 

This certainly gave me something to think about. I wonder what I would see when I got into Hogwarts. That is, if I ever get accepted.  

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a loud whistle. It was my mum. The dogs woke up with a start. Looked around for a while and then ran to my mum. They all licked her face and she looked happy. Sly was the one that noticed me. He barked and the others turned. They all sniffed me. I was petrified. Could they smell fear? Or better yet; did they know I was special?  

Dagger growled at me but Rose nudged him with her nose and he just let out a puff of air then looked back at my mum. The other two were still sniffing me. Rose barked at Sly. He then proceeded to grab me by the short and lift me into Rose's warm head. I was afraid it might run and I would fall. 

She turned back and looked at my mother. "Good job, Sly! Sorry, I have no treats. And that is very sweet of you my Rosey-Posey.But would you mind giving me back my son. I'm not here to play. I'm here to see my mother and father."  

Rose led out a loud whine and put her head on the floor and I climbed off. I decided that what she and Sly did was nice so I pet them both on their wet noses. Dagger still wouldn't look at me. He probably just didn't like me. 

"Okay boys, move aside." they're all boys? Even Rose? I was not expecting that. "Prachett, come here! " The small, scary looking elf came at once. And with his raspy voice spoke. "Yes little mistress? "