chapter 1//introductions can be brutal

Hanayo Chiko brushed her nimble fingers through her blonde hair. She sighed and a puff of warm air hit the freezing temperature surrounding her.

Hanayo felt numb, and the cold weather wasn't helping much. She didn't mind though. The cold seemed to soothe her nerves, and the concrete beneath her almost felt warm on bare skin.

She stretched her frozen limbs and silently hoped to get some feeling back.

Hanayo took a cautious step outwards toward the blanket of white that piled itself in her backyard. She looked over towards the neighboring apartments where her close friend lived and let another sigh exit her chapped lips.

Truth is, she missed her friend. They no longer went to the same school and Hanayo was left alone once more.

Her foot landed in the soft snow and she shivered. Hanayo decided to ignore the numbness of her body parts and urged herself to trek forward.

When she had reached the lake, she sat down beside the edge and looked over the thin ice.

Winter had always been her favorite season. It was always so calm and quiet, she loved it. The white pellets of snow were still falling rather slowly but fast enough for it to stick and pile without melting.

She reached a hand outwards and tried to catch a few of them. But her actions ceased when her attempt failed.

Her ears heard the crunching of snow behind her and without looking back, she said a quiet hello to her friend.

"Hey Haruhi," she called.

"What are you doing out here? It's cold," Haruhi grunted and settled down next to her friend.

"Enjoying the scenery," Hanayo whispered, ignoring the sarcasm in her friend's voice.

"Ah. Y'know you should really prepare for the weather a bit more," she said in a mother tone and gave Hanayo one of her many jackets.

"Eh, how's the new school treating you?" she questioned, wrapping the fabric around her shoulders.

Haruhi grunted in response and gave an annoyed stare out towards the lake. Hanayo only chuckled.

"That bad, huh?" Hanayo gave a sideways smile to her friend.

Haruhi gave a playful glare back and threw a little snow in her direction. "It's not necessarily bad but, too many damn rich people," she huffed and put her gloved hand to her face.

Hanayo smiled slightly and a comfortable silence settled between the two females. She felt something vibrate near her uncovered leg. She looked to Haruhi with a questioning glance. "Why is your leg vibrating?"

Haruhi sighed and dug her phone out of her pocket. "Phone," she said.

The blonde haired girl shot another glance outwards towards the frozen lake and a small smile graced her features. As soon as her friend answered the phone, she was met with yelling from the other end of the line. She raised an eyebrow at the brunette as she held the phone from her ear with an annoyed glare.

"Senpai, please stop yelling. I can hear you just fine," Haruhi interrupted the yelling and looked to Hanayo giving an apologetic look in which she just laughed at.

Overhearing the conversation between the two, she discovered that the one called 'Senpai' was supposedly waiting at Haruhi's doorstep.

Haruhi only said that she was behind the building catching up with a friend and hung up. She sighed once more and glanced back towards the apartment complex. Hanayo followed her gaze and waited with an expectant look.