Thank You (Daryl)

Your boyfriend Ian and you had been walking for what seemed like an eternity. Your camp had been overtaken by biters, and the two of you were the only ones to escape. Truthfully, you wished it had been you and anyone else in the group, but Ian sacrificed one of the group members to save his own skin. From the moment you left the camp with Ian, you felt they heavy weight of guilt on your shoulders. You knew that Ian could have saved more people, but he was only out for himself. If you were more confident in your self-defense skills and hunting skills, you would have ditched Ian a long time ago. You were convinced that you were only staying with him because he protected you, and hadn’t thrown you to the biters yet.

 As the two of you walked through a patch of trees, you heard a twig snap, followed by some growls and groans. You whipped your head around to see two biters heading towards you. They had already seen you both so you couldn’t hide. Ian raised his gun and shot his last three bullets at the biters, only hitting one of their arms. The noise alerted another two nearby, causing your heart rate to skyrocket. You looked to Ian for some idea of what to do, and his response did anything but shock you.

           “Good luck baby.” He said and shoved you into the biter that missed the bullets.

           “Ian!” you shrieked as you collapsed on top of the biter, holding it down and away from you. You looked back to see Ian sprinting away from the biters, leaving you to die. “Bastard!” you yelled to him before grabbing the pocketknife from your pocket. You flipped it open and drove it into the brain of the biter you were currently on top of.

 Ian was long gone now, and it was just you and three biters. You stood up quick and stabbed your knife into the one that Ian shot. As you tried to pull your knife out, the handle snapped off leaving you without a weapon. You were backed into a tree and held one biter off with your hands and saw the fourth biter staggering your way. You held the first one off with all of the strength you had left in you.

 Just as you were about to give in, the biter in front of you stopped moving, an arrow sticking out of its left eye. You let out a sigh of relief, and shoved the biter back onto the ground. You looked up and saw a rugged looking man in a black leather jacket, stabbing a knife into the fourth biter. He retrieved his arrow, and shook the blood off of his knife, looking up at you through his dark shaggy hair.

           “Are you bit?” he asked in a gruff tone.

           You stared at him for a moment before snapping out of it. “N-no I’m not bit.” You said.

           “What are you doin’ out here alone with no weapon?” he asked you, almost scolding you.

           You looked at him and bit your bottom lip. “I was with my boyfriend, but he bailed. I also had a knife, but it broke off in that biter.” You said, pointing to the biter lying on the ground by the man’s feet.

           “Some boyfriend.” He mumbled. “Were you in a camp or anything?” the man asked you, walking closer to you.

           You shook your head gently. “Well I was, we both were, but it got overrun. Now it’s just us. Well it was just us.” You said, rubbing your arm gently. It wasn’t too cold in Atlanta, but it was starting to transition into winter, and the shade of the trees around you certainly didn’t warm you.

           He nodded and looked you up and down quickly. “What’s your name?” he asked.

           “Y/N.” you said and held your hand out. Even in the apocalypse, you tried to hold some manners.

           “Daryl.” He said, shaking your hand gently. “Where were you headed?” he asked, slinging his crossbow onto his back.

           “We didn’t really have a plan, we were just heading East-ish.” You said.