Chapter 25

CHAPTER 25____________________________

CHAPTER 25
______________
______________

Rielle

"Thank you. I know you're still mad at me, but thank you for doing this." Sungjae said as he drives me back home.

"For your mom." I said shortly.

He nodded. "I know. Thanks for treating her so well."

I didn't talk anymore. I stared out the window and watched the rain pour. In this little space between him and me, there's a hundred walls that are hard to knock off. I'm afraid we will never be the same again.

He took a deep breath. "Rielle... I, too, IㅡI hope we could catch up some time too."

I looked down on my lap. "Why should we do that? This pretending will end soon anyway."

"You really want to just cut everything that has to do with me after this?" He asked resentfully. "Rielle," He paused, heaving a deep breath. "Why are you mad at me?"

I let out a humorless chuckle and looked at him. "You're asking why. Really, Sungjae?"

"Is this because of the damn kiss? Okay, here's the thing, would you believe me if I told you I didn't kiss her?"

I looked away. My voice was calm when I spoke again, surprising even myself. "You really think it's just that? Please, just... pull over. I can manage from here."

"It's raining hard."

"Just pull over!"

"What is wrong with you!"

"Everything!"

He stepped on the brakes, parking on the side of the streets. I got off the car and blinked as the raindrops quickly soaked me. Where am I?

"Let's talk, Rielle." Sungjae said behind me. "Please."

I tried dialing Youngji's number but she wasn't responding. "My God. Sungjae, you are just so clueless. Or are you pretending to be clueless?" I yelled through the rain. I shoved my phone inside my purse and faced him. "I can't... I can't do this anymore with you. I can't get closer than this to you."

"Why?" He asked, desperation in his voice.

"Because I'm starting to mix up things." I said, my breathing became heavy. My tears began blurring my vision. "Whenever we talk, whenever we do things, I'm not sure anymore what's real and what's not. Don't you at least feel that? Am I really the only one here? Sungjae, I'm so happy with the way you treat me... but later on, I'd realize we're just pretending for other people. I don't know whether the things you tell me or the things you show me are genuineㅡ"

"Is that really how you see it?" He asked, running his hands through his face. "Alright, I admit. I get so confused too, Rielle. God. You don't even have an idea. When you smile at me, when you take care of me, when you kiss me, I keep wondering whether you're doing it just for show. But the personal things about your life that you told me? I knew they are genuine. You won't be real to me about that, if you didn't think I was real to you too."