Meaning of "Jumpsuit"

"Jumpsuit" is one of two singles released to promote twenty one pilots'' fifth album, Trench; the other being "Nico and the Niners" The single was first scheduled to premiere on some radio stations throughout the United States at 8:30am but was released 30 minutes prior on iTunes and the bands YouTube channel.

The song's music style is characterized by the contrast between its heavy rock feel and the generally restrained vocals. It also makes frequent use of voice modulation and other synthetic sounds. The song is also reminiscent to their live performance of "Heavydirtysoul" where Tyler Joseph would scream the last lyrics of the song.

Lyrically, the song makes reference to the disillusion to DEMA (a fictional walled city) and the escape attempts of Clancy as described on the website that accompanies this album. The song's title references a yellow jumpsuit that is used to avoid detection from the bishops that oversee DEMA, since the bishops are unable to see the color yellow. One such escape attempt is shown in the music video for the song.

In a greater sense, the city of DEMA represents mental illness, and the bishops represent the demons that haunt Tyler. The jumpsuit is a symbolic means to suppress his negative thoughts. The color yellow symbolizes daylight, and the jumpsuit acts as a reminder that morning is coming and his demons will fade away.

-credit to genuis lyrics-