4

The next photo was a selfie (Oikawa's favourites), of the two of them sitting in a restaurant. The view behind them showed Times Square, people milling about. Iwaizumi made a face, drinking a milkshake while Oikawa grinned and offered a peace sign to the camera.

-----

Iwaizumi was the kind of person who valued sleep.

Every night, his lights were shut off and his phone silenced (because Oikawa would always text him randomly throughout the night) by ten thirty.

He made sure that his room was a comfortable temperature; usually a window open, enough blankets on his bed to keep him warm.

He never let homework sit until the last minute, unlike Oikawa who would constantly call him the night before a big assignment was due and cry because he had to pull an all-nighter.

So when his phone lit up, continuously, ringing loudly at three in the morning, Iwaizumi was less than pleased.

He woke up with a start, groaning and cursing whoever was calling him repeatedly. He tried to grab at his phone, only managing to knock it off his nightstand where it crashed to the floor. Why the hell was it even ringing? It made a more annoying sound than usual.

Iwaizumi cursed under his breath, reaching towards the floor to try and grab it. He stretched, stretched, was so close-

And he tumbled right out of bed.

“What?!” Iwaizumi growled angrily when he finally managed to hit the call button, not even checking the caller identification.

He got nothing but sniffles on the other end.

“Hello?” Iwaizumi blinked repeatedly, moving his phone to check who was calling. His phone showed the contact “Trashykawa”.

The voice on the other end breathed heavily before sniffling again.

“Oikawa?”

“Iwa-chan.” He sniffed on the other end.

“What’s wrong?” Iwaizumi was still annoyed, but did his best to try and soften out his voice because he really didn’t like how upset Oikawa sounded.

“What, did another girl reject you?”

“Iwa-chan!” He shouted annoyed into the phone, but he wasn’t sniffling any more.

Iwaizumi chuckled. “Okay, then tell me what’s wrong.”

“My parents cancelled on me.” He could hear some shuffling, like Oikawa was getting more comfortable in bed. “We were all supposed to go to New York together during our school break. You know, family time, or whatever.”

Iwaizumi grunted, showing he was listening as he climbed back into bed. He squirmed around, trying to find a comfortable spot again, which was always so much harder the second time.

“My dad just sent me a text. A text, Iwa-chan. He isn’t even trying anymore.” Oikawa sighed, breathing heavily, and Iwaizumi could tell he was trying hard to not cry. Despite the image he put on at school, the brown-eyed boy that he knew was a huge crybaby.

“Want me to come over?”

“But Iwa-chan, it’s raining.”

“What?” Iwaizumi sat up, pulling open his curtains. Low and behold… it was pouring outside. “Oh. Shit.”

Oikawa laughed a bit, “You couldn’t hear it, Iwa-chan?”

“No,” Iwaizumi breathed deeply, “I was sleeping until you called.