chapter 1

you just moved into a new neighbourhood. it was really nice & quiet unlike your last one. your room was huge and it came with its own bathroom & walk-in closet. you were so excited about mostly everything - well, except one thing.

last year you had trouble in school. you didn't have any friends and you were always a loner. because of this you were bullied and it caused your depression and other mental issues.

but you were ready for a new start. before you moved you got the professional help you needed to get back on your feet. you felt fresh and ready to take on anything.

- a few hours later -

your mom had asked you to go to the grocery store with her to pick out some stuff for dinner.

your mom told you that you could get any snack you wanted to, so you went looking for some of your favourite thing to eat - peach gummy rings.

you finally found them.

you were on your way back to the checkout when you saw a tall, handsome guy. you two made eye contact for a moment, but you continued walking.

all through the night you thought about him. the mystery in his eyes captivated you. you hoped all night long that he was in your new school.

- a few weeks later summer was over, and it was the first day of school -

you rode your bike to school. you had butterflies in your belly. the mysterious kid was in the back of your mind, you had kinda forgot about him. what brought some comfort to you was that all these kids were coming from different schools, so you wouldn't be the only new kid.

you learned how to be more outgoing and less shy around people during therapy. you finally had some hope.

you walked into school with a new type of confidence that you'd never had before. you put in your earbuds and walked to your locker. you headed to home room after that.

you didn't have assigned seats so you just sat in the second row.

you were on your phone, just looking at some edits. you lifted your head 10 minutes later to look around. you saw a bunch of different people. there were really pretty girls, that seemed nice for a change.

there were also some really cute guys - and the guy you saw at the grocery store! he was sitting in the seat next to you. you quickly turned, knocking over some of your books. no one really noticed though because everyone was talking to each other.

the mystery guy picked them up and handed them to you, "here you go" he said with a smile. you smiled back and blushed a little. "t-thanks, you look familiar" you said trying to keep the conversation going.

"so do you" he said smirking. "so, you new here?" you asked. "yeah, how bout' you?" he replied. "same...what's your name?" you asked. "joey. joey birlem. how bout' you?". "hana. hana smalls." you both giggled.

turns out you guys had the same classes - all of them. you were both excited as neither of you thought you would have friends already.

he asked for you number, snapchat, insta, etc, to keep in touch with you.

that night you guys texted all night. you got to know him very well. you were so excited for the next day of school!

-to be continued-

hi guys 🤪 my name's lani, and this is my first fan fic for joey! i have done these before for why don't we though! i'm also an editor and my insta is @birlemsaesthetic :) you can follow me if you want. i'm 12, almost 13, and live in Pennsylvania. i'm a multi fandom person too! 😝 i'm gonna try to make these a lot longer and drama packed!

word count: {643}