Chapter Three

My eyes fluttered open to see a shimmering light. Was I in heaven? The last thing I remember was diving out my bedroom's window and falling through the air until I came into contact with the ground and the world turned pitch black.

I squinted my eyes, trying to comprehend my surroundings when another wave of darkness washed over my eyes.

Finally I awoke once again. This time though, my head was aching and the glorious light was gone. I was in a small room. Slowly I rose up, resting myself against the head board and examined the room.

Ancient lamps decorated the oak walls. Several wooden cupboards stood in the left corner of the room whilst I sat on a simple bed which was on the right side. In front of me was a door and to the left was a table covered in stacks of paper. Adjacent to the table was a large bookshelf filled with many dusty books.

Where am I? How did I get here?

I quietly stood on the tiled floor and tip toed across to the table. The papers were blank, not a single word was written on them. My feet made its way to the bookshelf and I removed a blue covered book from its shelf.

"Oh, darling! Your finally awake!" exclaimed a voice, startling me.

I turned my head and saw a beautiful women standing by the door. She welcomed me with a dazzling smile. Her long brown hair was tied into a messy bun and she wore a simple dress with wooden sandals.

 Her long brown hair was tied into a messy bun and she wore a simple dress with wooden sandals

"Come on dear, there's something u need to read," she explained.

Something to read? I was hesitant at first but what choice did I have, I had no where else to go.

She led me out of the small room and into a much larger one. She gestured for me to sit on a wooden chair by a table. I obeyed and sat quietly, fiddling with the hem of my blouse. I was very nervous and almost jumped out of my seat when I heard a door open.

My eyes flickered up to see a boy. He looked around my age, maybe sixteen or seventeen years old. He had sandy brown hair that was messily kept but still looked great. His eyes was a bright shade of blue almost like the sky and decorating his face was freckles.

"Son, meet the girl" the lady told the boy.

"H-hi," I said weakly.

"Hello, I'm Nathan, that lady over there is my mother, Cora," the boy replied.

" I'm May, do you know how I got here?" I questioned.

His eyes stared deep into mine before replying, "Yes, all of the answers to your questions are written in this book."

Nathan removed a book from his leather pouch that crossed around his chest. He then stepped towards me and gave me the book. It's cover was brown and very old. Loose pages stuck out from the corners that were torn. My fingers caressed the cover feeling it's rough texture.

Finally I opened the book and read its words out loud.

"Welcome dear child to the realm, Titarosum. If you are reading this then you must be of The Special Kind. They are a group of  four children whom were born in Titarosum and was selected by the fairy, Lilana, to be sent into the realm, Earth. For they must complete a difficult task of defeating Lord Marlo which will restore the good of our realm. Each child has the choice to return to their life before on Earth after they have defeated Lord Marlo. But they may only have one year to complete the task or their life before will vanish as if it never occurred.

                                                                         Page One"

My eyes welled with tears. I closed the book and looked up towards Nathan.

"What's written here, is it the truth?" I managed to whisper.

"Sadly, it is the truth. You are of The Special Kind but you are not alone, I am as well." Nathan said, his eyes avoiding mines.

"I think that's enough for today. It's getting very late, how about you get some rest May. I have a guestroom that you can use for as long as you want," Cora announced.

"Thank you," I replied before following Cora to the room.

She smiled farewell and then left me in front of the guestroom's door. I entered the room and stared in awe. The room's wall was painted white and the floor was covered in a soft, golden carpet. On the left wall was a queen size bed. It's sides were draped with a white netting that arched to the bed's post. Next to the bed was a small, glass table, laid on it was a vase filled with red roses. On the right side of the room stood a white wardrobe and next to it was a vanity. I made my way towards the wardrobe and explored the inside. Several simple but beautiful dresses were hung on a rod. I then ventured to the vanity, on top was many products. Tears began trickling down my cheek as I saw a perfume brand my mother always loved, if she is my birth mother.

This was to much for me to process. My parents aren't my parents, I was living a lie but.. they still raised me. I am supposed to defeat some evil Lord or I won't be able to go home. Only one year. One year to defeat Lord Marlo. One year to save the good of this realm. One year to get home. One year to survive.

So many questions I that needed answers. All my answers are in the book but I have handled a lot today and can always read tomorrow.

I placed the old book on the glass table before sitting  on the edge of the bed and slowly making my way under the thick blanket. I wiped my tears and closed my eyes, hoping I could fall asleep but one question lingered in my mind.

Will Nathan help me in the pursuance of completing this task.... this very dangerous one?