Four Birds, One Wolf

The cries can be heard throughout the forest. Another child was born, her screams waking up all the rest. The parents scramble to quiet her before the complaints start. The question on everyone's minds was why this new generation were so different from normal. One of each of their children looked nothing like them. Sure there were some small details that they shared, but overall they looked like a different species. Even stranger was that each of the unique families’ child looked the same type of different. Something was evolving them.

After a reluctant meeting of all the families, they decided to call the weird children Human.

Robin chirps a goodbye to her mother as she spread her dark wings to go meet up with the other Humans from the bird families. Only with the Humans can she make the full use of her vocals to speak their unique language they created when they were younger.

Her favorite time of the day has always been when she is spreading her wings with the others. Her family had trouble keeping up with Robin due to her much larger wingspan, even with a weak wing. The Humans though could keep up and even pass her.

“Raven? Crow? Where are you?” Almost to the redwood tree in the middle of the forest she calls out for her closest friends. Growing up on the edge of the woods, she didn't know many of the other bird families.

“Robin? Is that you?” A sleek male with blue wings pops out from the other side of the tree.

“Jay!” Flying down to the Human, she tackle hugs him. “I thought a cat got you!”

“She did… the Human that is. But it turns out that the other species Humans are just like us! Rabbit is even secretly holding meetings for Humans only! You have to see it Robin!”

Robin backs away a bit. “Are you suggesting mingling with predators? Those families eat our kind!”

“Their families might, but Humans don't! We aren't like our families either Robin. Haven't you noticed how much stronger we are from them? Even if a predator or two attack we can handle them. Raven and Crow have even already left to check it out! Join us Robin!” Jay seems so excited at meeting more Humans other than the birds. Finally Robin gives in and agrees reluctantly, trying to ignore the old throbbing in her weaker wing.

Raven's large black wings are tucked tightly into her back. Crow wasn't worried about the predators surrounding him and is showing his slightly smaller wings off left and right. A Human with grey ears and a bushy tail slinks up to Raven.

“A bird huh? Don't see much of your kind at these gatherings.”

Raven backs up. “Just never heard the news. Not like we talk with land animals.” Raven had heard the story her best friend shared anytime predators came up. The only reason she had come was to watch over her slightly smaller counterpart. Glancing over while still focusing on the wolf Human, she was glad Crow had moved on to talking with Rabbit who had set this all up. “If you would excuse me, I must return to Crow.”

Rather than letting Raven go, the wolf had cornered her. “I don't think so little lady. I want to know more about you.”

“Why? So you can eat my family?” Raven starts to panic. Instead of closing in, the wolf instead backs away.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.” He raises his hands to right against his head as his ears lowered and his tail tucked between his legs. He was submitting himself to her. Why? “I'm sorry for the wolf family eating your kind, but it's in their nature, not mine. I left them when they tried using me to hunt down a Human. She was a bird like you…” He looks down. “If anything I want to protect you. I want to get rid of the guilt of hurting her wing. I know I come across as aggressive, but I don't mean to.”