Chapter 2

"In what?"

"The CIA. As an intern of course."

On the inside, I was jumping for joy. On the outside, I simply smiled.

"Where did you learn to fight like that?" he asked.

"My dad," was all I said.

He changed the subject, which I greatly appreciated. "I'll be back in a week to tell you when to report to the CIA building. I'll see you then."

With that, he smirked and walked away. He got into his car and drove off.

How dare he smirk at me like that. I was flustered. It seemed like he thought I was excited to see him again.

Was I? the little voice in my head wondered. To be honest, I couldn't answer that question truthfully. If someone were to ask me right now, I'd say no. But then again... No. I can't think of that. I don't care if I see him again.

After arguing with myself for what seemed like hours (which actually only lasted 2 minutes and 37 seconds), I finally decided to head home. It was already starting to get dark and mom would freak if I wasn't home soon.

I couldn't wait to tell mom and ny step dad that I got in! I was so excited, I couldn't stop smiling.

I finally turned into our driveway 15 minutes and 20 seconds later. As soon as I opened the door, it smelled like something was burning.

Mom must be trying to cook dinner. It's Sunday night, and we always have dinner together. Mom tries to cook every week, but she always ends up burning it. Thankfully Joe, my step dad, came down the stairs to cook the meal. He was a really amazing cook. He was self-taught at a young age. He would always watch cooking shows when he had the chance. At least, that's what he told me.

Mom gave a small smile when she saw him. She knew that once he came into the kitchen, it was time for her to leave. She came into the living room and sat on the couch next to me.

"What did you do today?"

"Nothing really. I did find out that I got into the CIA internship program."

Mom didn't respond for a while. I knew she didn't like the idea of me going into anything that dealt with criminal justice, especially when I'd be dealing with terrorists. Ever since dad went MIA over in Afganistan, she's been so over protective.

"Mom. You know this is what I want to do."

"I know sweetie. I just don't want something happening to you like what happened to your father."

Suddenly, Joe came in and said dinner was ready. I could tell by the look on his face that he heard everything. He was my dads best friend when they were younger. Joe told me a year ago that dad made him promise he would look after my mom and I. It was around that time, I brought up the idea of this internship. He wasn't happy, but he knew I am like my mom; when I set my mind to something, nothing was gonna stop me from doing it.

*1 week later*

School is so boring. I can't wait til this summer. I want to get this ball rolling, so to say. I'm the first one home, so I go inside, drop my backpack by the door, grab a water bottle, and head to my room. I notice my door is slightly opened. I know for sure I shut the door. There was nothing around for me to grab to arm myself, so I had to rely on the moves my dad taught me. I open the door to find a figure facing my window. I creep up behind him. I quickly get him pinned to the ground and notice that's its the mysterious guy from last week.

I knew he was gonna be coming back in a week, but I didn't think it would be today.

"You have 5 days after school gets out to pack and meet me in Washington. You'll meet me in my office at 12:00. Don't be late." With that said, he started walking towards the door.

"Wait. What's your name?"

That smirk. It was incredibly sexy, yet annoying. "The names Zach."