Chapter Nine: Just... One Drink

Video game shopping had gone nicely, and we spent the rest of the day just mulling about and goofing off. Eventually Charlotte and Gabe found us and we ended up having another pleasant dinner together. Since the two love birds were acting as if no one else was around, I got to spend some more time conversing with Toby, and simply getting to know him.

It was a pretty great day, if I did say so myself. Unfortunately, I didn't see him for a while, after that. At least, it was a while, to me.

Charlotte and I were still trying to figure out what we were going to do to fill our days up while we stuck around in LA. Since we had decided to stay so long, we had about two and a half weeks left here, give or take. We had moved all of our things out of the hotel by this time, and decided to stay in one of my relatives homes for a while. The costs of the hotel was really burning holes in our pockets. Unfortunately, where we were staying now, with my aunt... Was a bit boring. We'd have to travel a longer distance to get anywhere. And I didn't mind that, really, but Charlotte was kind of upset. Which meant we'd have to go back to a hotel soon to get back into the middle of all of the action. Which, I also didn't mind.

Currently, the two of us were sitting in my aunt's kitchen, looking up all sorts of things to do while in LA. Most of what was done so far was looking at schools and going shopping. There certainly had to be more out there than that. So, I scrolled through the web, searching site after site, making a list of things we could do. Charlotte, who was sitting next to me, held her cheek in her hand, her elbow against the table. She looked... Bored. "Charlotte, cheer up. We can leave my aunt's house in a few days and get back into the swing of things. I just... Want to stay in a home for a few days. And besides, this gives us a chance to just relax and regroup." She sighed. I rolled my eyes. Drama queen.

"Alright, so... There are a bunch of museums and old sites we can go to, and a lot of different parks, too. Lots of artistic places and galleries--" Before I could finish, Charlotte groaned. "This is all stuff you wanna do!!" She sighed heavily, obviously disgruntled. "Well, you didn't let me finish. We should go to the fashion district, too.... I don't think we've gone there." Honestly, we'd done so much shopping already it was all a blur. Who knew where we had gone..? "And we haven't gone to the beach yet, which I know you wanna do. We can even... Go to some of the clubs." I shuddered at the thoughts. As miserable as it sounded, I wasn't about to let Charlotte go to a club she's never been to, alone. "Oh! And I think I saw some fashion museums, too... I think... I'd have to check again." In one fell swoop, Charlotte pushed me out of my chair and sat in it herself, her eyes now glued to my computer screen. "Great! Now get out of the way and let me look! I need to make sure you're not just making this stuff up. I'll get some info on the places I want to go and put them on the list, too." I rubbed my arm where she shoved me and nodded. "Alright. I'll be in the living room. Call me if you need me." She nodded absently, not looking up from the glowing computer screen. I just shrugged and walked away.

Leaving the kitchen, I wandered into the living room to see if there was anything more interesting in there. I grabbed a half-drunk can of soda I had opened last night and left on the coffee table, and sank into the couch. I then grabbed the remote with my free hand and started with the ritualistic channel surfing. A 90's cartoon channel came into view, and I turned it on. Unfortunately, Spongebob was on, but I watched it anyway. I'd never tell anyone this, but I honestly still got a kick out of the show. You gotta give credit to a series that's lasted this long without changing much of anything.

I sipped away at my flat, luke-warm soda and watched the pictures flash across the screen. It was actually kind of nice, sitting here in the semi-silence, just relaxing. I didn't want to be on the move constantly, like Charlotte did. She had a lot more energy than me. In fact, I had to take advantage of this normalcy while it lasted.