The Dance - Chapter Six

The day came. I wore a dark green silk gown, that gown my mother had given me months ago. I had kept it neat and clean especially for this day. I don't know why but this dance seemed like the the most important thing for me, for all of us. I was waiting for Jason to ring the bell and call my name. I was waiting in my room, my heart beating real fast and my eyes gazing at the clock. Just then the bell rang!

"Um..Yes?" My dad said.

"Umm. Hi Mr. Hudson. I am Jason, umm Anne's date for the dance. I came to pick her up."

"Oh..oh..I..um call her..just a minute."

"Sure..thank you sir."

"Anne! Jason's here!"

"Coming" I said in a hurry, nearly tripping over the stair case.

"Hey dad I will be back by midnight! Okay bye!"

"have fun honey!"

The night:

We got there, everyone was already present. There was loud music playing and still we could hear people yelling and shouting. It was an exciting moment.

"Shall we," he said, reaching out his hand, oh my god that was just so charming.

We got inside, everything was decorated with glitters, stars and all those fancy things. I looked around for Ryan and Zoe, there were just too many people, my eyes were already hurting just as i was searching for them. And finally i heard Ryan "ANNE!!"

"OH MY GOD! RYAN!!" and then we hugged, which apparently felt weird. Yeah, we have hugged many times, but tonight just felt different. After that long awkward hug, we just stood there looking at each other like there was no one else there. And then suddenly..

"Uh Huh.."

"Oh umm..hey Zoe..you look really pretty, i love your dress!" I said trying to avoid the awkwardness we created.

"Oh thanks," she said uninterested. She didn't seem that happy by me and Ryan talking. 

"You look beautiful Anne, like always.." Ryan said..I just couldn't reply to that cause it was sometime that i never expected.  I knew how Zoe was looking at Ryan..I just wanted to run away..then finally Jason came.

"Oh hey Man! damn, Zoe you look gorgeous!" I was kind of shocked to the fact that Jason didn't even compliment me or anything, let alone even look at me properly. He acted way different. 

The dance was pretty okay. The food was good, the music was good, just not my expectations. I finally got to go with the guy I had crush on for, and now whens hes with me, nothing seem to work. He wasn't the guy that i hung out with, that guy who loved the street fest, i guess I was wrong.

The whole time, i saw him dancing with other girls. I tried to go talk to him but then he made excuses and left to go somewhere else.

As i was sitting on the fancy chair, staring at my empty cup, I heard someone familiar..

"hey."

"Ryan? hey, you alright?" He seemed like he would just break down crying.

"Umm yeah..I'm okay.. wheres Jason?"

"umm.. i don't know..he ditched me again..for the 10th time i think. Never expected anything from him. Where Zoe? I never saw you two dance? What happened?"

"Surprisingly the same thing happened to me. She ditched me too. She barely payed attention to anything I said. I asked her to dance but she was like Oh i have to go to the bathroom, be right back, and she never came back."

"Whoa. That sucks. Sorry man. WE had such huge expectations and now this is what happens."

"yeah.." and there was a long silent pause. 

"Umm ..the songs still playing..so..would you..umm..if you like..umm..dance with me?" I couldn't believe what i just heard. I nearly fainted. 

"Umm..what? Oh ... yeah..sure..." I tried to smile..i don't know why my heart was beating so fast..everything was just too weird.

Finally after 2 whole hours, I finally got to dance, like literally dance. I was so expecting it to be this awkward slow dance but then the DJ turned up the music and then me and Ryan were dancing like maniacs. The fun just started! 

We were dead tired by the end of the second song. We both ended up sitting exhausted on the fancy chairs, which were mind you, very uncomfortable. and suddenly out of no where he and i just started laughing.

"That was the best dance i ever had!"

"I know right! oh my god, i feel like i got abs now."

"Sure you do, i bet i lost some pounds already!"

We laughed more, and then Ryan said "Thanks Anne, for making this special." My heart nearly melted, he looked so adorable, the way he said that, "you know we should have gone together for the dance. WE just wasted our energy by asking those ditchers!"

"Yeah! but whatever, forget them, we at least had a great time! that's what really matters!"

It was nearly midnight, and it was just time to go home. Ryan and I were all ready to go, and while we headed out, both of us saw Jason and Zoe making out near a tall tree. We were just speechless. That was the most ewwest thing we ever saw. Yup Ryan and I invented that word - Ewwest, cause it sure damn was! We hurriedly got into his car and drove off.

The car finally reached my house. Dad was already asleep by then but I had keys so didn't had to wake  him up. I was about to get out of the car when, Ryan hurriedly came and opened the door for me. "Ooh, trying to be a gentleman here."

"Anything for you ma'am!"

"Oh god, stop it Ryan. Doesn't suit you!" The weather was quite chilly and the next thing you know, i felt a warm coat around my shoulders.

"Ryan, really you don't have to do this. I'm not cold, its okay"

"Sure you aren't. You were shaking the whole time. its okay, wear it."

"Thanks." We reached the front door.

"Soo..umm goodnight then.."

"yeah..umm good nights. thanks for the coat, here..take it..and umm thanks for tonight..the dance I mean for making it the best one ever.."

"Yeah..umm..thanks for joining me i guess.."

yeah i think we should stop thanking each other now, don't you think?" i said teasingly.

"yeah..okay then..umm bye.." I don't know why but I didn't want him to go..I wanted him to stay..but I just couldn't say it.

"Bye Ryan. Go home safely."

"I will" and he left. There was a kind of sting in my heart, but I was okay with it. The dance was the best night ever and I am grateful of it.