1.2

After my sleep, I woke up to see the time on my clock ‘1 pm’ on Saturday. I groaned in that state in the morning where you have forgotten everything, but that only lasted for a fraction of a second before I remembered what had happened yesterday and it all came crashing back down on me, forcing me back into my sheets. All I could think about was Luke and how, if we hadn’t broken up, he would be there with me and we would be cuddling and he would make me forget the pain and the worries... but he wasn’t. I reached over to my phone and switched it on, after letting it run out of battery a few days ago, it buzzed and I saw texts from Luke.

‘Rose?’

And another one...

‘Rose, I heard about your mum’

And a third...

‘Rose please talk to me...’

So I replied after a little consideration...

‘Luke...’

‘Rose! :-) you’re talking to me’ he replied.

‘So...’

‘I’m sorry to hear about your mum...’

‘Me too’ And then my phone sang the ringtone I had gotten so used to and Luke’s name popped up. I sighed before debating whether to answer or not... after about 30 seconds, I answered.

“Rose,” Luke said, sounding surprised that I had answered.

“Hi,” I said shakily, desperately not wanting to cry.

“Rose, I miss you,” he blurted.

“I miss you too, but it just wasn’t working,” I squeaked, tapping my foot nervously.

“What if... what if I said I had proof that I didn’t say any of that stuff?” Luke said quietly.

“I would tell you to show me,” I replied warily.

“I’ll text you it,” he said with an excited tone in his voice, and then he hung up. I waited until my phone buzzed with a screenshot of a text message chat between Luke and Mel. I read:

L: Why did you lie about me saying that stuff?

M: because ur just gonna hurt her

L: but you know I wouldn’t

M: just stop making me try and backstab Rosie