Chapter 6

Monica smiled as April sat down, "Hey."

"Hey," April returned it, trying to be friendly.

"Can you even believe Ms Frinns? I mean, like, English is so boring."

"Yeah, it's totally not right," April agreed. "Once, I went up to her desk to as her something, don't remember what it was, and she was online dating."

"No way!" Monica exclaimed, and April nodded, her eyes wide. "And this other time, she was looking at job offers in CHINA and I was just like omigosh BEST DAY EVER." Monica laughed and they continued gossiping for fifteen minutes, both oblivious to Ms Frinns standing over them as they discussed their mutual feelings towards her and the likeliness of her wearing hair extensions. April was the first to notice and nudged Monica hard in the arm.

"Ow!" Monica exclaimed, before realizing their teacher was standing right there and had heard a lot of what they said. "Oh hi, Ms Frinns!" she said overenthusiastically. "LOVE the extensions!"

***

The moment they were released from detention at the end of the day, April glanced at Monica, "Maybe not the best topic of conversation when the subject is sitting ten yards away, huh?" Monica nodded and they walked out of the school, where there was only one little black Beetle sitting in the parking lot. Monica headed towards it. "That yours?" April asked her, and she shook her head.

"My brother's. He would've loved to ditch this joint already but he's supposed to wait for me, our mom, you know the drill."

April realized Destery was sitting alone in that tiny car but ignored all thoughts of him. She nodded, "Oh yeah, I get it, I have double that. No siblings though."

'What do you mean?"

"Two moms."

"Ohhhhhh OK. That must get interesting," Monica grimaced at the thought and April narrowed her eyes.

"What're you talking about? I have two parents like most people, they're just..." she trailed off and Monica finished the sentence for her.

"Um... not straight?"

April realized she was discussing her moms' sexuality with her crush's sister. This was going in an odd direction that she didn't think she was cool with. "Uh, yeah, I should get home." She headed off across the parking lot and Monica stopped her.

"Wait! You want a ride?" She gestured to Destery's black Beetle and April was quick to respond. She honestly didn't want to be in the same car as the two, afraid of what kind of conversation they'd strike up with her, or more importantly, what kind of questions Monica would ask her in front of Destery.

"Um, no thanks, I'm fine to walk," She called back. Monica shrugged and sprinted to the car. As they drove out of the parking lot, about to pass April, Destery rolled down his window and smiled at April. Then he was gone, leaving her to hug herself happily, alone with her daydreams.