Chapter 15

Skye put the plan on rewind in her head as she sat on her living room couch and surfed through the channels on the TV. She was going to need help if she was going to distract Hannah and Gabbie long enough for April to leave the house (aka escape the house) and run to school.

"Skye, pass the remote!" blared Kayla as she entered the living room.

Bingo.

"Hey, Kayla, do you wanna help me on a secret mission?" asked Skye, making sure to sound like this 'secret mission' was the most interesting thing in the world.

"If you pass the remote I'll consider it," she replied as she jumped next to Skye on the couch. Skye threw her the remote.

"We need to free April from her house by distracting her moms," explained Skye.

This caught Kayla's attention. "How would I help?" questioned Kayla.

"I think I know how," grinned Skye.

-------------------------

"I can't believe you're making me wear your old Girl Scouts uniform," complained Kayla as she adjusted Skye's old Girl Scouts skirt and tugged on the pigtails Skye put her in.

"It's just for a few minutes" Skye reassured as she checked her watch. 5:46pm. "We gotta go. Just remember the plan. You're an innocent Girl Scout who is persistent on selling those Thin Mints!" encouraged Skye.

"Yeah whatever, let's just go," Kayla urged as she made her way to the front door.

"WE'LL BE BACK SOON, MOM!" Skye yelled to her mother, who was probably busy with another client in her office.

---------------------------

Skye stopped the taxi a street away from April's house. She payed the scruffy looking taxi driver and he replied with a grunt as the two sisters hopped out. They quickly ran to April's house, running as fast as their legs would carry them. 6:10pm. Once they arrived at April's house, they regained their breath as they stopped running about 5 metres from the doorstep. The cool air blew against them and they both shivered.

"Mission 'Save April' is a go!" whisper-exclaimed Skye as she hid behind the corner of the house and Kayla rang the doorbell.

Ding dong!

Hannah opened the door with a smile. Kayla could hear the song 'Hope It Gives You Hell' by 'All American Rejects' blaring in the background, most likely from April's room. "Hello sweetie! Are you selling cookies?" asked Hannah sweetly. April creaked her beddoor open an inch. 'They're here!' she thought happily. She proceeded to close her bedroom door behind her and slowly make her way downstairs.

"My wife is out at the Supermarket but she used to be a Girl Scout. I'll take 2 boxes of Thin Mints please," said Hannah. Kayla looked behind her to see April going down the last 2 steps. "Actually, um... I'm not selling cookies!" beamed Kayla. "Um... One moment please,"

Kayla turned around and panicked. She forgot the cookies! She never thought she would actually WANT to buy some! Instead she came up with a better idea.

"Actually I'm trying to earn my 'Hair Braiding' badge. I'm an only child and my mother is always out. Could I braid your hair then take a picture to show my troop leader?" asked Kayla as convincingly as she could.

Skye rolled her eyes. 'You wish you were an only child,' she thought.

"Oh, I'm sorry sweetie, no thanks. When my wife comes back she would love that though, so you come back tomorrow at noon," Hannah continued.

April was now at the back door. She opened it slowly but squeaked.

"What was that?" Hannah asked herself as she started to turn her head.

"AH!" Kayla screamed to bring her attention to her. She then pretended to faint on the spot.

Hannah gasped. Skye watched April running away in the direction of the school. 6:20. 'She just might make it!' thought Skye happily. Now all she needed to do was get Kayla.

As Hannah was fanning Kayla, trying to awake her from her fake slumber, Skye ran into the scene and exclaimed, "Oh no! A random Girl Scout! Don't worry Mrs Sommer, I'll take her home!" Skye said in a horribly-acted surprised voice. She hoisted Kayla over her shoulders and ran down the street, leaving Hannah gawking and wondering what had just happened.

---------------------------------------

Aprils lungs were about to give up on her and collapse into her stomach. The time was 6:27 and she just walked into the school gate. Schools look so different when they're empty. Instead of looking like a place where children are forced to compete against each other for the top in multiple things, it looked safe and peaceful. April looked like a wreck, her hair blown out by the wind in a tangled mess. She was dressed in a flowing blue shirt and jeans, not the most glamorous but the school wasn't the most glamorous meeting place.

April walked up the 2 stairs to the open hallway. The open hallway was just like any other hallway but without the wall that seperates it from outside. So when you're walking past you can see the children collecting from their lockers, and the floor was only about 5 inches off the ground. April's locker wasn't out here but Maxine's was, so she never really hung out here. She never really settled things with Maxine, but decided there was no need to. April approached a pillar holding up the roof for the area and leaned against it with one foot planted on the floor and one knee bent as the other foot was on the pillar. The cool stone concrete was freezing against Aprils bare neck but she didn't mind. She was about to wonder if she was earlier then Destery. 6:30, read her watch. 'Was this all a prank?' thought April sadly. Then she noticed a silhoutte walk into her view.

"Hey April, didn't think you would come," Destery sighed in relief with a smile on his face as he approached April and stood in front of her.

"Don't know why you wanted me to come. Is there a reason? Why didn't you just invite the girl you LIKE?" asked April, not expecting herself to be so bitchy. "I'm sorry... It took a lot of trouble getting here and I guess I'm just tired," she apologized.

She then explained the whole story on how she got here. The distraction, the escape and the run.

"Then I ran all the way here from my house!" exclaimed April with a bubbly laugh as she pointed in the direction of her house.

"All that trouble just to see me?" asked Destery with a smile.

April smirked, shrugged and started to blush.

Destery couldn't help smile with her. "April, I wanted to tell you something, alone. That's why I invited you here" he clarified.

"What is it?" April wondered aloud.

"Remember how I said 'how could I like Maxine when I like someone else?'"

"How could I forget" April sighed.

"Well that someone else is someone incredible and funny and smart and has been through a LOT," Destery continued.

"She sounds lovely, but what does she have to do with me?" April sighed sadly. This person sounded way better then she was.

Destery put both of his hands on each side of the pillar April leaned against. He leaned in and soon his lips met April's and they kissed like there was nothing else in the world they could be doing.

THE END

~#~

Can't believe its over! :') happy tears my friend, happy tears. I had been planning this ending since the middle of the book tho I swear XP Yes my grammar is bad at these 'words from me' parts cus the're not actually part of da story so dont judge ladeh XP