XVIII

There was a constant shuffle of criminals into Odin's prison, acquired as prisoners of war from the countless battle that Thor and the Asgardian army fought in the name of peace. They were always loud, rowdy, a conscience annoyance as they stumbled into the prison's, pushed along by the guards and Warrior Three. It was jobs like these that Thor was too good for, preferring to fight the battle and not deal with the consequences. For all the talk that he had apparently grown up and matured, December did not see any difference between now and then.

Other than the fact that the idiot was dating a Midgardian woman, nothing had changed.

She was quietly scrubbing the floor, ignoring the jibes from Loki in her head as he taunted her. Frigga had stopped blocking his memories of the December months ago, believing that the two of them were hopefully mature enough not to blow December's cover.

Loki watched the prisoners as they filed past his cell. He muttered sarcastically, "Odin continues to bring new friends. How thoughtful."

She hid a smile as she dipped her brush in the soapy water bucket. He really needed to learn to shut his mouth sometimes.

The illusion of Frigga asked, "the books I sent, do they not interest you?"

Loki rolled his eyes as he crossed the room, glancing at Frigga who was dressed in green robes. "IS that how I am to while away eternity? Reading?"

They faced each other, separated by the weirdly shaped golden chair in Loki's cell. "I've done everything in my power to make you comfortable."

"Have you? Does Odin share your concern?" He rolled his eyes, as Frigga said nothing. "Does Thor? It must be so inconvenient, them asking after me day and night."

December's lips tightened as she continued to do her job, keeping up with appearance as the battle of words went on behind her. It was a family matter that she felt awkward hearing. Though Frigga had once been like a mother to her, that was years ago. Though she cherished the Asgardian queen deeply, the woman had long since lost the right to be her mother. Such was the result of the unfortunate case of her banishing.

"You know full well that your actions brought you here."

"My actions?" Loki asked sarcastically, turned away from Frigga, sharing a glance with December. They both knew his actions had nothing to do with what had happened on earth. But unfortunately, Frigga would not believe it. It was to outlandish to claim, someone mightier than an Asgardian. In that regard, Asgard was infinitely ignorant and dull-witted. "I was merely giving truth to the lie that I've been fed my entire life. That I was born to be a king."

"A king?" Frigga asked, "a true king admits his faults. What of the lives you took on earth?"

"A mere handful compared to the number that Odin has taken himself."

December rolled her eyes at that, all three of them knew that, that was a weak argument.

"Your father­–"

"He's not my father!" Loki yelled, losing his temper. December flinched.

It was silent. Ember had froze in place, hand not moving to scrub the sparkling clean floor as she waited with baited breath for Frigga's response.

The woman asked tightly, her voice quiet, "then am I not your mother?"

He hesitated. Before, and December hoped he fully realized the consequences. "You're not."

Frigga forced a smile. Tears slowly accumulating in her eyes.

December felt frozen on the ground as her head sharply turned up to stare at Loki in shock, mouth opening and closing like a fish. He had just... He had just completely denied Frigga. Frigga was the only person who had cared. How could he... How could he just say that?"