1 The First Letter

"So my parents are going to be gone for a few hours..." I say suggestively, laying across my bed while I'm on the phone with my boyfriend, Dylan.

"Is that an invitation I hear?" There's muffled movement for a moment before he asks again, "Babe?"

I laugh, "Duh, idiot." I hang up before he can respond. I get up and let my hair down at the mirror, my chocolate locks fall to my shoulders. I comb it out with my fingers for a second then shrug, "Good enough."

The doorbell rings, I rush down the stairs and fling open the door. Dylan mouth greets me with a hungry kiss, his hand at the back of my neck. I pull him into the house and he closes the door behind him. He lifts his hand to reveal a bottle of tequila that he jiggles, making the liquid slosh inside as he backs his way up the stairs.

-

After only a of couple drinks, there's a loud thud. "Was that outside?"

"Maybe it's you're parents coming home." He says against my skin, then continues kissing my neck.

I pull away, "If it's my parents you have to get out of here!" I toss his shirt at him and almost manage to grab my own before he pulls back to his chest. "I need to at least check." He makes a sad face but finally lets me get up and throw my shirt on. He still hasn't made any attempt at putting his shirt back on and just lays back with his hands behind his head.

I roll my eyes before going down the stairs. I don't see anyone. I decide to check the garage, to see if they had pulled in. I flip the garage's light switch and it flickers on. No one there either.

Strong arms suddenly grab me from behind and lock me in a tight embrace. I let out a squeak in surprise. Thrusting my elbow backwards in reflex. "Fuck, woman! It's just me!"

"Shit! You scared me." I spin around, Dylan is rubbing his stomach. "Guess it was just the wind."

"Of maybe... it was a ghost!" He jokes, and turns the light off.

"Good God! Turn it back on, asshole!" He flips the light switch again. As the lights flicker back on, he rolls his eyes and puts his arm around my waist as we walk back through the house.

"What if it's a serial killer?" He runs his hand up my spine, making me shiver.

"Fuck off."

"Aw is little Tess scared?"

"Shut the fuck up!" My face reddens and I don't want to hear any more of his nonsense.

The lights flicker in the entryway and an envelope slips through the mail slot. "What the...?" I bend down to pick up the envelope and hear a thunder crash. "Holy shit!" I say as I jump backwards into Dylan's awaiting arms. He starts laughing like it's the funniest thing he's ever seen. I step away from him and with what little pride I have left and pick up the envelope. It's blank. I tear it open, blank.

"The fuck?" I say with confusion and irritation.

I unlock the front door and open it, I shiver as the chill of the air lets me know that rain is on it's way. Seeing only Dylan's car in the driveway, I call out, expecting my brother to be behind this weird letter, "The fuck you playing at? Alfie, is it you?" unless he still thinks he's fooling anyone, he's long gone by now. He probably left to his friend's house across the street after dropping this stupid thing into the mail slot.

Dylan is still laughing after I've closed the door.

The lights flicker again and I shove Dylan playfully, "What did you do to my lights?" I ask accusingly.

He laughs and pulls me into his arms, "Absolutely nothing." He slides his hand down my back, looping one of his fingers in a belt loop of my jeans. He leans down to my ear, "Let's go back upstairs..." I feel his warm breath on my neck. He suddenly grabs my legs to pull me up and kissing me, carries me upstairs.

He kicks the door to my room back open and drops me onto the bed. He hovers over me and lays his lips back onto mine, my head raises off the bed as the kiss intensifies. He breaks away, breathing heavily as he pulls my shirt over my head then tosses it on the floor along with his own.

He brings his face to my neck and kisses down to my collarbone, his hands exploring my body. Our breaths get rougher as I flip him over so he's on his back and I'm straddling him. I bend down and send kisses all of over his chest. He tugs me by my bra strap to kiss my lips.

The load sound of glass shattering made us both stop in our tracks.

"Do you think someone broke in?" I whispered, not wanting to let the intruder know where we were.

He sits up and I get off the bed to grab my shirt. I pull it on and leave my room to move toward the stairs. I look down at the first floor below, the lights flicker again.

"Jesus fucking Christ, what's wrong with these lights?!" Dylan shouts in a whisper as he comes to stand beside me.

The shadow of a person comes into view, I squat down next to railing to try and get a better view but i still can only see the shadow and not the actual person. We watch as they seem to be struggling to drag something heavy to the other side of the hallway. We waited, peering down from the top of the staircase. I slip my phone out of my pocket to dial 911 but I don't have any signal, "What the fuck?" I whisper. I always have signal in my house.

By the time we look back down, the persons shadow isn't there anymore.

We take the steps two at a time to the bottom.

My bare feet crush into the broken glass, "Mother fucker!" I fall back onto the stairs, my feet a mess of red. Dylan holds me gently from behind.

Our oriental vase is shattered to pieces.

"I'm gonna get some bandages and alcohol from upstairs! Stay here." Like I was going to move.

He comes back quickly and picks me up to carry me to the upstairs bathroom. As he sets me on the counter, I can feel the blood in my feet pulsing. He puts my feet in the sink to rinse the blood off. Searing pain rides through my feet, bringing heat up my legs as the warm water ripples over them. The sink becomes a pool of pink, the water mixing with the blood.

He turns the sink off and I anticipate the pain of the alcohol, but it's so much more than I expected. I bite onto my fist to keep from yelling out.

He wraps my feet in large white medical bandages and carries me like a baby to my room. After setting me on the bed, he lays down beside me and takes me in his arms.

"It's gonna be OK." He slides my hair behind my ear and kisses my forehead. As I stare into his green eyes, I forget the mess downstairs. I forget about the intruder, I forget about the fact that my feet have been sliced open from broken glass, I forget the blank letter. I simply fall asleep. Tomorrow can answer those questions.