The Fever

Dylan follows close behind as I step into the guest room. A strange feeling sets in as I look around the room once more.

"What are you looking for, babe?" He asks, he forehead wrinkling in question.

"I don't know. I just..." I trail off as my eyes fall on the armoire. I rest my hand on the handle lightly and give it a pull. "It's locked..." I tug again, but it doesn't budge.

"What's in there?" He comes into my view and leans against the wall beside me. I shake my head softly.

My fingers run along the carved lines of elegant flowers, etched into the wooden door. I remember watching my grandfather carving out these soft, feathery lines with such precision. The pale blues and pinks, blending beautifully with the walnut of the wood. A sweet smell drifts into my nose, it's a strong floral scent, like my mothers perfume.

"Tess?" Dylan's voice pulls me out of my thoughts. His eyebrows are raised in question.

"What?" I ask softly.

He sets his hand on my shoulder, "Are you OK? You're sweating." He places the back of his hand against my forehead. His eyebrows knit together as he says "You're burning up."

I touch a hand to my face, feeling the heat radiating from it. He takes my hand in his and looks into my eyes, "Let's get you back to your room." He starts to pull me towards the door, I reluctantly let him guide me back up to my room.

As I lay in my bed, he sits beside me, gently stroking my hair, which is now sticky with sweat from my forehead. He grabs the cold rag from the bowl of ice water, wrings it out and rubs it across my arms and chest. He dips it in the water and wrings it out again, then sets It on my forehead. I shiver at the chill despite the heat of my body.

My eyes are heavy and my limbs are tired. Sleep, my body is demanding. But I'm far too uncomfortable to sleep. My whole body is sticky and hot, my hair is stuck to the back of my neck and flat to my head. My eyes are closed but I'm definitely not sleeping.

"Tess?" I peel my eyes open enough to see that my brother has made it home. He looking from me to Dylan.

"Uh. Maybe I should be going now." Dylan stands up quickly, causing the bed to shift and my stomach to turn uneasily.

"Yeah. Maybe you should be." Alfie says with bitterness.

Dylan awkwardly makes his way out of the room as Alfie comes to my side with concern plain on his face. He holds my hand and my eyes close as I fall asleep.

-

There she was. This time I felt like I knew who she was and I felt like I owed her something. No, I knew I did.

Her long blonde hair was wildly whipping around her, like there was a strong wind, but I couldn't feel it. Everything felt still. But she was moving fast, her blue eyes full of terror and tears. She was scared. Her arms were out like she was trying to grasp something and failed. Her neck, it was purple with bruises...

-

I inhale sharply and bolt upright. "Sarah!" I scream into the darkness. I'm gasping and soaked with sweat as Alfie bursts into the room.

"Are you OK?" His eyes are wide and searching around the room. He pulls me into a hug and strokes my back. "You were just having a bad dream." He makes soothing sounds as I sob, clutching his shirt.

My mom and dad make their way into my room with worry. Alfie moves aside for my father to stick a thermometer in my mouth.

"Did her fever finally break?" My mother asks as my father, the doctor, tests my forehead with the back of his hand.

He smiles reassuringly, "I think it has." The thermometer beeps and he reads it. "Good good. How are you feeling, pumpkin?"

I make an attempt at a smile. "OK, I guess. How long was I asleep?"

"Since yesterday afternoon." My mom answers while tightening the knot on her robe.

"What time is it?" My voice is groggy.

Alfie glances over at my clock, "Almost 11."

"I'm gonna take a shower. I feel fucking disgusting." I grimace at the sweat stains on my clothes.

"You do kinda smell like shit." Alfie comments. And I give him the finger.

"That's my girl!" My dad says enthusiastically then stands up and plants a kiss on top of my head.

I give them a half-assed smile as they leave to let me bathe. I climb out of bed and head to my bathroom door.

The warm running water feels great as it washes the dirt from my skin. The smell of strawberry shampoo soon fills the room and I think about the strange dreams I've been having. At least I hope that's all they are.