Chapter 31

"How long will it take to get it fixed?" I ask in frustration.

"I have to wait for the part to come in," Pat, the mechanic explains to me for the third time. "So, it really all depends on that. A few days, maybe a week tops. It won't take long to fix it once I have it. But for now, let the waiting game begin!"

I let out a long groan, annoyed that I'm stuck in Oklahoma. A place called Broken Arrow, to be exact. After my car broke down in the middle of the night, I was stuck on the side of the road for hours before someone could come tow me away, which already had me annoyed. Now, I've been walking between the front of my car and behind for what feels like hours, as I watched Pat, the mechanic, look at it, clink a few things here and there, his hands getting blacker with grease by the moment and my irritated self can't be controlled.

It's not that I'm in any hurry to get anywhere, but I wonder if I should just buy another car and forget this one ever existed, just to keep going. Instead, I take a good long look at my ford focus and heave a sigh. Despite the fact it hasn't been with me for long, it has been with me since I started this journey and I've grown to love how comfortable it's gotten.

"Looks like you're gonna be stuck here a while," he laughs. "Might as well go find yourself a place to stay and get comfortable. Broken Arrow isn't all that bad if ya ask me."

"Right," I say, glaring at him. Broken Arrow, Oklahoma isn't exactly the place I thought I'd end up,not even knowing it existed prior to today, but here I am. I might as well go make the most of it, since I have no other choice.

I hand Pat the mechanic my car keys for the last time and tell him to take care of my baby while I'm gone, before I head over to the office and fill out the paperwork to get my car fixed.

"Any good places to stay here?" I ask the guy behind the desk as I'm filling the papers out.

"There's a motel right around the corner," he tells me. "Washington? What brings ya all the way to Oklahoma?" He takes a long look at my drivers licence before he hands it back to me and his question makes me look at him. I realize it's the first time in my frustrated state that I see the person across the desk from me. His blue eyes are bright and he smiles at me, somehow making me speechless. "It was just a question, Jayde. You don't actually need to tell me the truth or look at me like you think I want to murder you."

"Oh..." I stutter, clearing my throat. "I'm sorry. That's not what I...never mind." I shake my head, not knowing what's wrong with me. "I'm..just on a road trip. For the record, I didn't think you'd murder me. Until now, actually."

He lets out a small laugh and I go back to filling out the papers in front of me, feeling flustered and not wanting to look at him anymore. He is far too cute for his own good and I have a feeling he knows this. I'm sure he has this affect on a lot of girls, but I don't want to be one of them.

"So, we'll give you a call when your car is ready," he tells me, handing me an auto shop card. 

"Oh, I'm sure you'll see me before then," I say, which makes his eyebrows rise slowly on his forehead.

"Oh, really?" His inquisitive stare is almost enough to knock me off my feet. How is he so good looking?  "I should introduce myself then. I'm Tyler."

"I just meant that I'll be coming by every day to check on my car," I explain. "No other reason...none at all."

Fuck, I'm awkward. What the hell is wrong with me? He finds my obvious embarrassment funny, as he stifles a laugh at my expense.

"You're cute," he tells me. Instantly, I feel my face go hot with his words and I need to get out of here.

"Gotta go." I flee for the door as quickly as possible, realizing before I step through it, just how pathetic I am.