careful

The last thirty minutes of detention sped by and I had finished up all of my homework. Coach Z grunted, finally putting his newspaper down and flipping his wrist, checking his watch for the time.

"Alright kids," he said, voice gruff. "Go on. Get out of here."

Paul packed his backpack rapidly and I grabbed my text book, stuffing my papers inside of it. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Colin sling his backpack over his shoulder while making his way out of the room, but not without looking back at me once before leaving.

Another chill passed over me. What was his deal?

"So what are your plans for the rest of the night?" Paul asked as we left the classroom.

"Oh, not much. I have to work in thirty minutes."

"Shit. That sucks. You're gonna miss the basketball game tonight. It's a big one against Steele Creek."

"Meh. You know I'm not big on sports. Plus the Hawks suck this year." Although Daddy and Leon loved sports, I could never get into them. They never really stuck with me. Probably 'cause Mama didn't care for them either.

"You work too hard for a junior, you know that?" Paul quirked his brow.

"Hey, Princeton and Harvard aren't going to wait for me so I might as well take advantage, right?"

"Right," he laughed.

Paul shoved the exit door open, the sun beaming right down on us. It was an unusually bright day for one in Nantahala. I veered to the left and went for the bike rack, pulling the key out of my pocket and unlocking the lock.

"That's my ride," Paul said when a car horn beeped. "See you Monday, Sienna!" he called.

"Later," I yelled after him as he rushed for the white car parked at the curb.

When my bike was free, I pulled it back and hopped on top of the seat, strapping the pink helmet that Mama forced me to wear on, stuffing the lock and key in my bag, and taking off.

I loved my bike. Riding it was always freeing. It was black with pink rims. Cory spotted it at a yard sale and figured I'd need it so I wouldn't have to catch a ride with Mama anymore. She was always late for work because she had to drop me off for school or my job, and I felt bad about it because she really needed her housekeeping job.

I only had to offer up $30 of my check to get it. I called my bike Barbie. She was a little dinged up but she was reliable and got me where I needed to be.

Five minutes later, I pulled up to Cory's Stop & Go, parking my bike at the curb. I locked it up then went inside, spotting Cory at the counter.

"Hey, Cory!" I breathed, unstrapping my helmet and taking it off.

"Hey! You're here early!" Cory looked to his left while straightening the jar of 50¢ gum. He took one out and tossed it my way. I caught it with one hand and he grinned.

"Thanks." I smiled, glad it was strawberry flavored. "I thought I'd start restocking a little early." I took off my bag and set it behind the counter.

"This wouldn't be because you're trying to go to the big game tonight, would it?"

I laughed, giving him a sideways eye-roll as I grabbed my brown apron, looping it around my neck and then tying it around my waist. "Heck no. You know I don't like sports."

"Maybe you've changed your minds. Teenagers are weird like that."

I giggled. "I don't think I would change my mind so easily. And have I ever told you how much of a douche you are?"