INTERLUDE I

The cardinal rule of survival is "take what you can get

     The cardinal rule of survival is "take what you can get." As such, Coal does not complain about the dampness of the den or the sparseness of his nest. He did not have to fight for these things; they were given to him, if grudgingly, by the ShadeClan she-cats, and he knows when it is wise to cherish a gift.

     "We can try this, but only for a while," he eventually tells his brother, breaking the silence.

     Clay, already quite at home in his pathetic pile of moss, rolls onto his side with a hearty "oomph!" Adjusting is his specialty. "I already like this place. Not a bad spot to be stuck for a moon. We have a roof over our heads, fresh moss, and somewhere to hide. What could be better?" He begins to wash his paws in contentment, untroubled by the possibility that ShadeClan's offer is not as splendid as it seems.

     Resisting the urge to point this out proves difficult, but Coal swallows it along with any scathing comments it carries. Instead, he says, "I don't know about these cats. We have to watch our step here, Clay, or they'll be on us before you can even try to apologize."

     "Are you asking me not to do anything stupid?" His brother's green eyes bore into him, wide and still plenty full of innocence.

     "I guess I am." The black tom sighs and adds, "I know you're excited, but we're not out of the woods yet. If we put a toe out of line, I don't think we'll be welcome anymore, so just..."

     "Be careful?"

     "Yeah. Be careful."

     Sobered by the heavy sentiments, Clay wishes his brother a good night before settling into a true sleep, one untainted by poppy seeds. But Coal stares out of the den until the moon reaches its peak, unable to bring himself to feel tired, not in the slightest. There is something about this place he cannot shake, and as the night wears on, it refuses to reveal itself to him.

     Only when his head dips to his paws does he realize what troubles him. Across the camp, he can just see the vague shape of one of the she-cats from earlier. She is resting now, but he recalls her wide awake, cold, concentrating on something beyond her new charges. Her focus is striking, and Coal knows with all his heart that she is the one he and Clay must be wary of, as she will be the one to drive them out at their first mistake.

     As he drifts off, taut as a wire, he pictures her hovering at his back, watching his every move with unflinching resolve. For some reason, though, her eyes are yellow.