Testing Testing Is This Thing On?

~Lockwood~

"Testing testing one two three" my voice boomed from the speakers. Well, almost all the speakers. George, my dearest friend and colleague pointed to speaker three with his lucky blue and green pen, clip board stuffed under his arm.

"That damn speaker hasn't worked right from day one." He wasn't wrong, I bought that blasted piece of junk from corner store. It was cheap and didn't have any exterior damage, I knew I could fix it if I put in the time. Time, a very limited thing for me these days.

"I'll bet you ten pounds the cables are switched, we really need to color code them or something." I jumped off the stage and headed toward the back. It was mid spring and the heat waves were already rolling in, but today the weather couldn't have been better. It was an outdoor stage which looked out over yards and yards of clean grass, freshly mowed (I would know they were doing it right now).

I supposed I should give you the run down, my name is Anthony Lockwood, I'm a country singer. Me and George are a team, I do the singing and he takes care of the rest of the crew. He's in charge of basically every aspect of making sure the show goes right. Right now we're in the outskirts of London, all the farms and animals you don't see in everyday life reminded me of why I started the path I'm on today. To put it simply, I love music and anything to do with the outdoors. My fondest childhood memories were our family camping trips.

While making my way to the back I was stopped by our smallest and newest employee, Lucy Carlyle. She stopped me by promptly running straight into me. I myself being very tall and somewhat muscular was only shoved back a small bit, the girl on the other hand landed straight on her butt.

"Oh God I'm so sorry Anthony I wasn't watching where I was going-" I stopped her by putting a hand out to pull her up, my most dashing smile brought to my lips.

"Don't worry about it, no harm done. Well no harm done if you're alright that is." She took my hand with only minor hesitation. She brushed her bottom off hurriedly and smiled up at me. "Oh yes I'm alright." She had her head tilted up at me at such an angle, that it wasn't until that moment that I noticed the drastic difference in our heights.

"So, what made you run so fast?" She laughed and then in the blink of an eye her expression changed from happy to

"I left my cellphone at a T-shirt stand!" She was already moving towards the exit as she said this. She was gone before I could open my mouth to wish her luck.

I thought about our encounter on the way to the back. I kept thinking about many things about this new girl, the most overwhelming thought being our height difference. Then those thoughts quickly took shape of many other thoughts. How would it feel to bend down and scoop her into my arms? Or hold her tiny hands as we danced for hours on end. To kiss those full lips of hers and pin her against the wall- no. Stop that, you just met her.

Truth be told I've never had much luck with love, my experience with women have been discouraging to say the least. Most want fame, or money or, well I'll just say it, sex. I let my mind fantasize the thought that Lucy could be different. She told me in the interview that she grew up in these parts, surely anyone raised around here knew proper dating etiquette. There were countless country songs based around love not being used for some lousy pickup line.

I let the thoughts drop for the time being while I worked at the cords behind the stage. Surely enough I was right, the two nearly identical cords used for two different purposes, were switched. I only knew the difference because on the side of the base of each cord. Long story short, I fixed it.