Chapter 21

"Loving can hurt, loving can hurt sometimes. But it's the only thing ‎that I know. When it gets hard, you know it can get hard sometimes"
           - Ed Sheeran/

Lorrie's phone rang. "Lorrie, Trey here. I need your help. Could you come over and look after Agie for us. Alice is with her right now. Have to take Chelsea to the hospital. She's bleeding."

When they were on the way to the hospital via the ambulance, Trey could still hear Chelsea shouting at him. "Trey stop, stop please. You are getting it wrong."

But he continued confronting the stranger. Then he heard Agatha screamed, "Daddy, mommy's bleeding! Mommy, mommy don't die."

That's when he stopped and saw Chelsea lying on the floor, unconscious, blood all over her dress and on the floor.

He called the hospital and asked for assistance. "An ambulance and paramedics will be sent to you immediately, sir!

He called Lorrie. The stranger approached him, "That's what  your wife and I were explaining. I found her sitting on a sidewalk. I hailed a cab and took her home. She almost fainted. I'm sorry this happened."

"I'm sorry too. Thank you for helping my wife but can you go now?"

 In the ambulance, Chelsea was still unconscious. "Sweetheart, I'm sorry." Then to the paramedic, he asked, "what's happening to my wife?

"I'm afraid, sir, that she might lose your baby. Let's hope for a miracle that your baby can hold on tight until we get to the hospital."

"What are you saying? She is pregnant?"

They arrived in the hospital. Chelsea was rushed to the delivery room.

When the doctor came out, Trey was waiting for her. "I'm sorry, Mr. Paraiso, we lost the baby. Mrs. Paraiso lost a lot of blood so she is still in critical condition.. We would do everything to save her."

Lorrie arrived with Agatha. "I'm sorry sir. She insisted that she wanted to make sure her mommy won't die this time."

Trey told Agatha. "When mommy is taken to her room, whisper to her that we love her. That she has to come back because we need her." He was fighting tears. He didn't want his daughter to see his pain and worry.

Then she sat on the bed in her Mommy's room. Trey talked to Lorrie."Do you know that she was pregnant?"

"What do you mean was?" Lorrie was now in tears.

"We lost the baby and it's all my fault." He recounted to Lorrie what happened.

"I'm sorry. Yesterday, we suspected as much because she was dizzy and vomitted. We did not tell you because she wanted to make sure first. And there was your meeting, she knew that if she had told you that she would go to the doctor today, you would cancel."

"On Monday, I want you to file for a  month leave for Chelsea. I'll email the President and HR about our leave. Nobody needs to know about this. I don't want to hurt her more."

"Of course, you can count on me! She is my bestfriend"

Several hours more before Chelsea was brought to her room. She was still unconscious. Agatha embraced her mom. "Mommy wake up. Don't leave us. We love you, mommy. I already miss you, you know. And no one's going to read me stories. I don't like daddy. He's a lousy reader."

Agatha fell asleep on Chelsea's bed. Trey carried her to the divan.