Chapter 26

"Nobody does it better,  makes me ‎feel sad for the rest. Nobody does it half as good as you. Baby, you're the best!"
     ‎     - Carole Sager

The family attended the school meeting after Chelsea cancelled Trey's meeting with a client.  "This will be the first and last that I'd cancel your meeting for a trivial matter like a school meeting which I could handle without you! And remember, I am your Executive Secretary in the office only."

Trey just smiled at her impishly.  Agatha was excited in introducing Chelsea to all her classmates and teachers. Apparently the meeting was announcing the class honors for the quarter. Agatha got the highest honors of her class.

Trey whispered to Chelsea, "Does this not count as an important occasion for our family? The boss is always right so never argue with him." He received an admonishing look from his wife.

After lunch, they took Agatha with them to the office. There were paperworks that needed immediate approval. Lorrie informed Chelsea. Trey asked the janitor to buy gallons of ice cream and cakes for the whole Operations Department. Their treat because Agatha got the top honors.

After office, the family had their own celebration with Lorrie and Lester at a restaurant near the office.

When they got home, Agatha was exhausted. This time, it was Chelsea who tucked her to bed. "We are proud of you, angel. We love you." 

Trey was only watching his wife and daughter from Agatha's bedroom door. He was proud of them both.  More proud of his wife, that even though there's still a wall between them, she was handling their situation with calmness.

When Agatha was asleep, she went to their room for her rituals of arranging and preparing things for Trey. 

When she was done, Trey asked her to stay again.  "Mr. Paraiso, I told you that was only a one time offer.  If you want we can have a nightcap in the living room. I can give you one hour then we rest."

"You win, Mrs. Paraiso. Lead the way!" So Mr.&Mrs. Paraiso sat side by side on one of the settees in the porch, drinking coffee, sharing insights and office rumors.

"Chelsea,"

"Hmmm"

"I miss you! I love you!

"I think we are both tired now. Let's turn in," ignoring Trey's remarks and stood up.

Then Trey pulled her to him and kissed her. She was surprised at the onslaught that she hit him on the face.

But the moment her hand connected, she felt sorry. She went far. She saw how Trey's surprise turned to red and trying hard not to retaliate. "Yes, I think we need to rest."

Chelsea was not given time to apologize. Trey released her and went directly to their room.

The following morning, everyone was speculating again. The ES went to the office alone. They were used to seeing their boss taking his wife to the office with or without meetings. As their boss would always say, "I could not pass up any opportunity to kiss my ES!" So what happened to this missed opportunity?

Trey was a no-show at the office. According to his Executive Secretary, he was on a meeting and might not make it back to the office.

Lorrie approached her while she was in Trey's room.  They pretended that they were arranging his files so they could talk privately. Lorrie knew something was wrong.

"I went too far. I hit him on the face. I was as stunned as he was for my action. I didn't know what came over me. You know me, I'm not a violent person."

"I thought everything was well between you two. We just celebrated Agie's achievement last night."

"He did not give me a chance to say sorry. He shut me out. He was all red. I remembered when he offered me the job, I asked him what would anger him. His answer was that I wouldn't want to see him angry. I know now. Everything has been lost after all."

"Don't say that. Trey loves you so much and not turn against you for a mere slap in the face."

"When he turned his back on me, I felt that he left me for good. And I got hurt again, the same hurt when I lost our baby. I realized that my love for him is still there."

"Don't worry. Everything would come out fine."

Her private phone rang. "Yes, this is Chelsea Paraiso, what?"