one

katherine wells

silverthorn- not good enough

I placed my hands on my stomach, staring in the mirror with disgust.

My hands feel like they can reach through to my bones, but I look like an obese person.

My right hand moved to my wrist, looping around it and touching my pointer finger and my thumb together.

About an inch of space left over.

I then reached down to my left thigh, wrapping both hands around it.

My thumbs overlapped each other, and I sighed.

My hands reached over to the counter, and I slid my gown back on, walking back into the room.

"Are you ok? You were in there for a while." Bethany said, standing up in worry.

"Nah, I'm good." I said, putting a fake smile on my face.

Inside, I wasn't 'all good'.

My parents died last year in a fire, so I don't have anyone to be here other than Bethany.

She is just my fake ass friend from school that doesn't give a shit, just wants credit for being a nice person.

That's why she's here.

To tell people that she spent a bit of time visiting me.

Nurse Diane rushed in, staring at me weirdly.

"Why are you unplugged?" She asked, looking at me with wide hazel eyes.

"I had to pee." I muttered, but she just rolled her eyes.

"You kids never understand," she said, grabbing my arm, and leading me to the bed. "You need these to stay alive, sweetie."

She then stuck IVs and different kinds of needles in me, and I knew that some had nutrients in them.

I've got to remember to throw that up later.

She left, glancing one last time at me to make sure I wasn't pulling them out again.

To be honest, I don't care if I die or not.

One I saw she was completely gone, I once again pulled out all the needles, standing up.

My head spun, vision blacking for a minute, but I recovered, walking slowly.

"I'm going to Starbucks. Want anything?" Bethany asked, walking out of the room.

"No thanks." I smiled.

And with that, she left.

I sighed again, walking out of the room.

Other patients and nurses walked through the halls.

Their eyes wondered to me, but they never questioned why I was out of my room.

My gaze shifted down to the floor, and I saw my pink socks moving slowly.

But then I walked into a wall.

No, not a wall.

A person.

"Uh, sorry..." I muttered, but my breath caught in my throat.

It was a boy.

I pulled my loose gown to my neck, covering my shoulder, and ran a hand through my hair.

He had bright pink hair that was balding a bit, and beautiful green eyes.

He smiled, shaking his head.

"It's fine."

I reached down, picking up his wrist, and studying his band.

MICHAEL G. CLIFFORD

20/11/1995

LEUKEMIA

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Looking at your band. Nice to meet you, Michael."

He gave me a weird look.

"Here" I said, holding my wrist up.

He slowly reached out, and pulled the band closer to his face.

I already knew what it said.

KATHERINE WELLS

30/10/1996

ANOREXIA

"Nice to meet you, Katherine." He said, laughing a bit.

I smiled.

"Just call me Kat."

"I like cats." He said.

Hey peeps.

It's me, the author.

Yeah.

So I have a couple disclaimers.

1: I do not have nor know anyone with these diseases, other than TFIOS, so I don't know if everything fact/feeling wise will be true to the actual disease. I will google as much as possible, though.

2: I'm not completely sure if hospitals will let you stay like this, but screw it. It's fiction.

Anyhoo, thanks for reading.

Ily guys!!

-Megan xox