Chapter Two

“Morning honeybun!” Aunt Louisa called when she heard my heavy footed arrival. I grunted in response and dragged the seat from under the table.

A plate was immediately put in front of me, the smell of bacon, eggs and beans wafting up my nostrils.

I pushed it away with the grimace and tried to ignore how the table had been perfectly laid out. A silk sheet had been spread across it, a vase holding a perfect rose in the center of fine plates and cutlery. Homemade jams were sat in a tidy circle around toast, the toast was a golden brown, not burnt but not under done. 

I rolled my eyes about how everything was so picture perfect, from the perfect food to my perfect uncle and auntie who didn’t have a hair out of place. I wasn’t a part of this perfect illusion with my holey pajamas and messy plaits.

“We made your favourite, a big breakfast! With extra bacon.” Uncle David grinned as he cocked his head towards the mountain of food that was on my plate, as if urging me to eat.

“I’m vegetarian.” I said bluntly.

I couldn’t stand the thought of little pigs being cut up or ducks being stolen from their ponds and stuffed into a Chinese roll.

“Oh. I could whip up something else for you, you’re looking awfully thin.” Aunt Louisa frowned, her eyebrows furrowing with concern.

“I’m fine, I’m not hungry.” I mumbled, I pushed away the plate and slouched down in my seat. “I want to go to town.”

Aunt Louisa blinked. “Town?”

I nodded my head and resisted the urge of rolling my eyes at her worried expression; I guess Mum and Dad had filled her in on my dangerous qualities more than I thought.  “I want new clothes.”

“I think it’s best if we come with you, this is a new area for you and we can buy you a few treats.” Uncle David said quickly, Aunt Louisa nodding furiously in agreement.

“I’m sure I’ll be fine, I’m used to looking after myself.” I said stiffly. I hadn’t even been here a week and they were already watching my every move.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Uncle David cried, his painted smile faltering.

“I’m a big girl.” I smirked before scraping my chair from under the table and heading upstairs to get changed, leaving them both to talk in hushed whispers.

*       *        *       * 

The streets of Australia were crowded and noisy, it was a Saturday morning and everyone else seemed to have the same idea as me. Muscular boys were heading down to the beach, clutching their surfboards under their arms, a few of them turned my way.

 I scowled and walked the opposite direction; I wasn’t planning on staying here so why bother giving them attention.

I passed a few shops but none seemed to be my style, they were all filled with tank tops and beach wear, I couldn’t help but notice how annoying the sales people were, a lady in Décor (a clothes shop filled with junk) had followed me around for an hour straight as I sorted through the enormous pile of t-shirts in the sales. Another thing I missed about New York, the people that worked there let you do your own thing before swooping in on you.

I stuck out like a sore thumb out on the sunny streets of town; I was dressed in my leather jacket and high top trainers.  I was like a black cloud over their sunshine. The sun glared down at me, blinding me and making me trip on the loose cracks of the pavement.