Lets talk about this

I dial Steve's number though I'm not sure I want him to pick up. I'm not ready for another round of arguments I'm tired of trying to make him understand because he doesn't want to understand. (Steve and I have been dating for a year and a half now). As usual he doesn't pick up and I am relieved. I decide to send him a 'let's talk about this' text to clear my conscience.
I realise I haven't returned any of Lizzy's calls so I give her a ring.
She picks up.
"Dee I'm so sorry about yesterday"
"No worries babe, how is mummy?"
"She will be fine, the doctor just said she has a high bp."
"Yes she will, but Liz, tell me you've discarded all her cigarettes."
"I did and she got a new one, she's been hiding them from me, you know how difficult she can be."
"I know, just do what you have to do, it takes time you know."
"So what about Steve?" She asks trying to turn the attention away from her mum and succeeding.
"The dude is still ignoring me"
"What is even his problem, Dee don't bother yourself with this guy, he thinks he is the only guy you can get that's why he's acting up. Dee it's even your fault, I told you to stop giving him what he wants all the time, stop treating him like an egg, he doesn't care much about you."
"But I love him Liz"
"Listen to yourself, love isn't one sided, you love him too much but he doesn't really..."
"If there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that Steve loves me too" I cut in.
"If he does, he will stop pressuring you to do what you're not comfortable with. Listen Dee, just take a break, don't call him, don't text, just don't do anything. Let's see how lover boy will take it."
"I will only end up pushing him away..."
"Then let him go, if he doesn't try to get back with you, then that is the only communication you'll ever need. Dee-Dee you're too beautiful to stress yourself over a guy, it should be the other way round. Steve really isn't worth all this stress if you have a brain and think about it."
Elizabeth is right, only if the reasoning part of my brain did not fall the way I fell for Steve. I mean Steve is my first serious relationship. I don't know what being in love feels like if it's not with Steve. I don't know who to compare it to. Steve is my everything. Or is he?
Liz continues "If I ask you to talk to other guys you'll begin your 'Steve is the only guy I see, he's the only one who gets me' talk she jokes.
"Don't worry Lizzy, I will try to see other guys."
"That's what you always say, I will be shocked if you actually do, you know Steve is so confident because he knows you're a fool for him." Liz always had a way of telling me harsh truths which I always turned my eyes away from. I guess that's one of the reasons I value our friendship. She always says things as it is.
"Enough about Steve already, Liz please come to my house, I want to go school shopping and you know I need your help."
"Be right there" Liz sings happily and I smile.
What will I do without this girl. She is literally heaven send. She's always looking out for me even when I can look out for myself. She's like the senior sister I never had even though she's only a year older than I am.
"By the way I've got jist for you"
"And Dee you're just telling me this, you're wicked" Liz jokes.
"Calm down bebe you were the one going on and on about Steve."
"What's it about?"
"Come first. The earlier you come..."
"Urghhh I hate youuu"
"See you!!!"